Sign in to follow this  

03 YZ250f Fork Swap

Hi guys,

I am about to buy a set of forks, triples and shock off of an 04 YZ250F to replace the ones on my 03. I am assuming that they will fit, but will require new wheel spacers and maybe a new front brake caliper. Are my assumptions right?

Thanks for any help,

Cal

No, they're not. If you use the '04 triple clamps, the whole thing will bolt right together as if it belonged there in the first place.

Sweet, thanks gray. That just made the deal a whole lot sweeter!

No, they're not. If you use the '04 triple clamps, the whole thing will bolt right together as if it belonged there in the first place.

Hey gray, do you know if the rake or wheelbase changed between the 03 and 04 or the added rigidity of the 04 forks will have an adverse affect on the chassis geometry or handling?

they are not as good as tc forks but a decent step up from your old ones(the worst fork kyb made)

Thanks mog. I think I'll have to check out my current forks; after hearing that I'm not so sure that they are stock. When I got the bike, it came with a set of forks which were the stockers but were blown out and kinda bent up. The forks that are on it now fit the same triple clamps as the 03 (I have two 2003 yz250fs to check this against) but have completely flat caps with only the compression adjusters on top. The stock forks had 46mm lower tubes, correct?

yes they went to 48 in 04.Post a pic of the caps.

Edited by mog

They ended up being 46mm tubes. I will try to get a pic of the caps soon, they are basically a flat cap with the compression adjuster sitting on top of a 16 or 17mm wide by 10mm tall hexagon in the middle.

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on TT for a while, ended up finding out the forks were off of an 05. Still have the same question; will they fit with just a triple clamp change?

The '05 fork will fit using either '04 or '05 triple clamps. If the clamps came from a YZ450 or a YZ250, the stem will be 10-12 mm longer than the YZ250F stem. That's not really a big problem as long as you don't run out of threads before the ring nut over the top bearing reaches the correct preload, and you don't mind it sticking up a ways. Ordinarily, I would tell you that your stem can be swapped into the later clamps, which may be true in this case as well, but not knowing what forks or clamps you currently have, it's hard to say. In the worst case, you should be able to correct any problem you run into by using spacers over the bearing, or you can just buy the right stem from Applied Racing.

The '05 fork was the first twin chamber KYB fork. Not as good as the '06+, but still a big improvement over the original 46mm '03 stuff.