Sign in to follow this  

ICS seal changed and damper rod still retracting back in...

hey guys, I did the ICS seal fix on the forks off my 05 crf450r. after putting the new seal in my mechanic is saying that the rebound rod is still not rebounding back out on its own. once you compress it once it stays compressed and creates a vacuum. you can pull the rebound rod out but it just sucks itself back in. very frustrating, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

hey guys, I did the ICS seal fix on the forks off my 05 crf450r. after putting the new seal in my mechanic is saying that the rebound rod is still not rebounding back out on its own. once you compress it once it stays compressed and creates a vacuum. you can pull the rebound rod out but it just sucks itself back in. very frustrating, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

Did you do the other seals also? Rod seal etc?

Sounds like rod seals to me. If rod seals are in backwards you should notice right of way. There will be nice bead of fluid around

the rod after you compress it.

jw

Sounds like rod seals to me. If rod seals are in backwards you should notice right of way. There will be nice bead of fluid around

the rod after you compress it.

jw

especially if you have the inner cartridge in

sorry guys, I meant I bought the "12mm damper rod seal. Sfs-0912" from synergy seals... not the ICS seal. they are 2 different seals obviously. I keep confusing them!

what is the piston seal? can you link me to the seal? can you explain how its done?

thanks!! been working on these forks for almost 6 months now! alllll winter :bonk:

well f*** me! I believe I already ordered those seals a LONG time ago and thought they were the wrong ones. I cant remember where I put them... would probably be easier to just buy new ones.

where exactly is that seal located?

what is required to do in order to change it?

I have already changed the seal where you had to drill out the 4 peens. not sure what that one is, damper rod?

so I still need to do the ICS seal?? this whole time I thought i did it but apparently not? now I am double guessing myself and confused!

You need to start thinking logically, what holds the oil in the inner chamber? Its sealed at the bottom by the rod seal yes, at the top you have the floating piston below the ics spring, that floating piston has a seal on the outside ( 2 o rings - it maybe these are worn and only take seconds to replace ) or the seal is gone on the floating piston, it has a clip like a piston on a 2 stroke, warm up the housing to help you remove the seal, its easier than the rod seal

ok I think I kind of understand now. you gotta remember that not only am I not a fork expert, but I havnt seriously worked on forks in almost a year.. except for this set im working on now.. which I havnt even seen in 6 months. so im a little fuzzy on how exactly everything looks.

I will tell my mechanic about those o-rings on the floating piston.. not too sure what seal you mean on the floating piston though. once again.. would be easier if I had the forks on hand, or at least pics...

and I will order those other seals tomorrow and do a full rebuild on the forks.

Ah...one other thing.

ok I think I kind of understand now. you gotta remember that not only am I not a fork expert, but I havnt seriously worked on forks in almost a year.. except for this set im working on now.. which I havnt even seen in 6 months. so im a little fuzzy on how exactly everything looks.

I will tell my mechanic about those o-rings on the floating piston.. not too sure what seal you mean on the floating piston though. once again.. would be easier if I had the forks on hand, or at least pics...

and I will order those other seals tomorrow and do a full rebuild on the forks.

Ah...one other thing.

If the new o-rings don't work, then remove the free piston shaft and check it on a surface plate. Sometimes the free piston shafts will bend and cause this problem.

ok. I did have a full rebuild kit that included new o-rings but I am not sure if they would include o-rings that deep into the fork... there were a lot of them in the package so im thinking it would. although I am still not 100% sure what o-rings they would be..

I am also still not 100% sure what is required to do to change the 10mm ICS seal that I am about to order. is there a walkthrough here? I did the cartridge/rod seal apparently and I need to to the ICS seal and O rings on the free piston??

Ive already done this one: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/870709-07-crf450r-have-to-replace-cartridge-seals-drill-dimples-pics/

now I need these ICS seals too? http://shop.synergyseals.com/Showa-47mm-Fork-10mm-ICS-Piston-Twin-Chamber-Seals-5401-0910-R1-SWA.htm