Sign in to follow this  

Can a noob start racing when he's 18?

I'm 18 and just getting into motocross and dirtbiking in general. I live really close to a popular track. Is there a class I could start out in, once I get a little better at track riding? It looks like the funnest thing in the world, I just wasn't blessed enough to be in a family that was into racing. Just got a really nice 2010 rmz 250 (Ive been trail riding and messing around on an old unreliable 2 stroke for the past year) and I'm itching to get into some real racing!

What do you guys think?

yes you can, find a novice or slowest class and have at it, i just started racing last year at age 29, good luck and have fun!

Thats awesome you guys, I'm hoping to find a way to get involved some offload racing someday too!

Wow im feeling old! Im 38 and just bought my first MX bike. Been riding Harleys for 20 years now and got the itch to play in the dirt this past few years. Finally bit the bullet and got a 04 yz250f. Mostly plan on riding with friends at a local track/trail but if my confidence level is up I might be tempted to get in the geezer class.

I'm 18 and just getting into motocross and dirtbiking in general. I live really close to a popular track. Is there a class I could start out in, once I get a little better at track riding? It looks like the funnest thing in the world, I just wasn't blessed enough to be in a family that was into racing. Just got a really nice 2010 rmz 250 (Ive been trail riding and messing around on an old unreliable 2 stroke for the past year) and I'm itching to get into some real racing!

What do you guys think?

Yes! Go race the beginner class at Aztec next Saturday, in CO Springs. http://www.aztecraceway.com/az/

I'm 30, and raced my 1st race ever over there about a month ago. I'd go next weekend, but we got friends coming in for a bachelor party.

Yes! Go race the beginner class at Aztec next Saturday, in CO Springs. http://www.aztecraceway.com/az/

I'm 30, and raced my 1st race ever over there about a month ago. I'd go next weekend, but we got friends coming in for a bachelor party.

No way, you ride at aztec!? Sick! Haha

What's the schedule from may through aug? I read something about wednesday night races during summer Sadly I'm away at school for spring

What kinda fees you gotta pay man?

I started riding when i was 18. I played hockey most my young life and just never had time. I did have a few 80s back in the day, but never rode anywhere really, just our yard, haha. I will say the biggest downfall with age is awareness. You kinda have a lil more fear then you woulda if you started young and careless. But you can conquer that. Anyhow, yea you would start in novice or "C" class depending on the venue. I started there...I got up into the mid-lower end of intermediate, and into lower-mid of "B" before i quit due to college. What held me back was jumping...i just couldnt do it well, lol...guess i was too timid.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Yea, I'm 18 and my first race is March 17! Only had my 450 since June. Gonna be racing D-Class at Birch Creek and see where that takes me. Good luck man!

• Like 1

Yea, I'm 18 and my first race is March 17! Only had my 450 since June. Gonna be racing D-Class at Birch Creek and see where that takes me. Good luck man!

dang first race on a 450?? you're brave man! haha

I'm 41, started riding dirt in 08, raced my first event in Oct 11. I placed 3rd out of 8 in the beginner class. I only ride off road so its enduros and hare-scrambles for me. So as long as your expectations are reasonable you can start racing at any age. Your chances of going Pro are slim to nonexistant....but you can still have fun!

dang first race on a 450?? you're brave man! haha

That's what everyone has been telling me... First bike 1972 Yamaha GT 80. Second '08 YZ 450F. They say it was a pretty big shift. Finishing the race is the key.

I'm 41, started riding dirt in 08, raced my first event in Oct 11. I placed 3rd out of 8 in the beginner class. I only ride off road so its enduros and hare-scrambles for me. So as long as your expectations are reasonable you can start racing at any age. Your chances of going Pro are slim to nonexistant....but you can still have fun!

Never even thought about going pro, except every time I watch a race.

• Like 1

How did you find info on enduros? I've been watching the redbull chasing summer videos (which i highly recommend) and that stuff looks so fun!

Yeah man, go for it! I started racing hare scrambles last year at the age of 21. You're never to old to start. Just think man, everybody has to start somewhere.

Never even thought about going pro, except every time I watch a race.

It is possible if your are some superhuman uber talented moto-god....Most pro guys started riding about the time they could walk!

How did you find info on enduros? I've been watching the redbull chasing summer videos (which i highly recommend) and that stuff looks so fun!

I am a member of Trail Riders of Houston and only plan to race the club series so far.The guys I ride with also participate in TORCS, STORM and Extreme some local series. I would suggest Google some local clubs and you can probably find out about local events. I know we put out flyers at local shops but it still seems to be pretty much word of mouth.

Here's the club site race schedule on first page. http://www.trh-cycle.org/index.php

We are also hosting Gatorbait enduro (TSCEC) at the club property Apr 21-22.

I started riding in june of last year at 19, tried my hand at racing in october, did ok and had a ton of fun and met some really cool people. If you can keep the bike on two wheels you won't get last. start in the D class.. Just have fun with it man, that's all that matters, who care if you mess up or crash or don't win, i stalled at the gate in moto 1 and crashed in practice earlier in the day. I had a blast regardless and am doing the entire series this year with some fellow students and regularly go to the track with friends and even the guys from the local bike shop parts counter, getting into motocross was one of my best decisions and i too am from a family who wasn't into racing when i was growing up.

• Like 1

Yeah my first race I simply let the whole class go ahead of me at the start, I figured that is where I should be. That was a mistake within the first couple of miles (8 mile loop) I had passed all 8 in my class. I ended up crashing in the sand whoops on the first 2 laps, got passed by all of them and worked my way back to third. I never did see the 1st and 2nd place guys after the first crash. Ended up with a finish of 3 laps around 2 hrs in a 1.5 hr race.

Edited by Jakeblues