Sign in to follow this  

1/2 ton Silverado with 6.2L?

We have a whole lot full here at the dealer. I drive them and they haul some butt. But still nothing compared to my Dmax. But if you're needing some info on them, let me know.

Thanks SAPPERS. Yes, I am looking for info about the 6.2. Such as mileage... Hopefully it isn't a bad as the 6.0. I'm considering a crew cab with the Max Trailering Pack.

Where is the dealership located that you are at?

Well the 1500 4wd with that engine is rated at 14/18 in standard form but that's without the tow package which I'm assuming comes with a higher diff ratio. I see on most forums people are getting 16-17 with the Max tow package with the 1500. So I'd knock 20% off of that with a 2500.

what are you going to be towing with it?

Lets not start a diesel vs. gas debate. I'm sure the op has thought this through and is just looking for opinions on the specific truck he is not looking for other options.

Edited by 79yamdt

Specifically, I'm looking for a 1/2 ton (Chevy doesn't put the 6.2 in the 3/4 ton) crew cab with the Max trailering package. Looks like I'm going to have to order...

It really doesn't matter what I'm pulling now. I don't want to be too limited in the future, but I do not want a diesel. I also do not need or want 4wd.

I have several trailers that I pull. The biggest / heaviest load is a 7' X 16' enclosed cargo trailer. Can get two ATVs and two bikes in it (barely), so that's ~ 1400 pounds of ATVs and 450 pounds of bikes plus gear. I currently have an '08 1/2 ton extended cab with a 5.3 and 3.42 rear ratio. The 7 X 16 is a load for it in the hills. The Max trailering package comes with 6.2 and 3.73 rear ratio.

Edited by David_L6

My only experience with the 6.2 is in my wifes Denali XL.

We pull a 7,000 travel trailer, truck loaded with 6 people and bunches of gear with no issues. On big hills you'll see the revs climb a bit

but the 6.2 is awesome. Her stock exhaust reminds me of a V8 boat with thru hull exhaust at idle.

Quite an addictive sound.

I'm also looking for a 1/2 ton Crew Cab with the 6.2..but I do want 4wd.

• Like 1

My only experience with the 6.2 is in my wifes Denali XL.

We pull a 7,000 travel trailer, truck loaded with 6 people and bunches of gear with no issues. On big hills you'll see the revs climb a bit

but the 6.2 is awesome. Her stock exhaust reminds me of a V8 boat with thru hull exhaust at idle.

Quite an addictive sound.

I'm also looking for a 1/2 ton Crew Cab with the 6.2..but I do want 4wd.

Thanks for the info!

What kind of mileage do you get while towing?

I'm in Ky. But just don't get one with active fuel management. They suck. But if you're willing to wait and see for 2013. Gm will be releasing the 4.5l 1/2ton diesel. Ford and Dodge put theirs on the shelf for now. This isn't a gas/diesel debate but a 1/2 ton buyer looking for a truck.

Staying 2wd will net you good mpg but the 5.7 hemi in 2wd is awesome. Alot of power and very good mpg. A friend has a 2011 and it rocks and gets about 17/24.

We have a lot of new UPS trucks with the 6.2L and the six speed auto. The engine is pretty sweet, very responsive, loves to rev. The transmission, not so much, it hunts a lot and generally has a mind of it's own.

Mileage while towing with the Denali XL and 7+K lbs of weight is around 7 or 8 mpg.

This is a 30' long 8.5' wide travel trailer. Surely a 16' x 7' would be pushing a lot less air.

Bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a truck with the 6.2. Crew cab 1/2 ton with Max Trailering Pack (6.2L / 6 speed auto / 9.5" rear end with 3.73 gear ratio). :lol:

Looking at about 6 weeks wait. :bonk:

We have a whole lot full here at the dealer. I drive them and they haul some butt. But still nothing compared to my Dmax. But if you're needing some info on them, let me know.

Just curious...did you go with the front buckets of 40/20/40 seat?

I'm definately going 40/20/40 to add that 1 more seating position when needed...plus they just feel more roomy to me.

I did. IMO, bucket seats aren't worth what they charge for them. I like the 40/20/40. That's what I had in my '99 and what I have in my '08.