Sign in to follow this  

2005 yz250 questions

I just bought an 05 yz250 about three weeks ago. They guy i bought it from bought it new in 06 and rode it down his street once and it has been sitting ever since. I first rode it 2 weeks ago, and that is the first time it has seen dirt.

I put 150lb springs in it when i got it due to it being harsh for my weight (155lbs)

Ive heard the 05 had some fork problems, is it worth switching over to the SSS type fork or just getting the stock forks re-valved?

I also have a bunch of spooge coming out of the exhaust (almost half way down the silencer) after a long ride.

Ive checked the float level and that seemed to be spot on .50mm.

jetting: stock

main:178

pilot:50

Red line oil 40:1

fuel screw 1 1/2 turns out

The bike is all stock except for an after market air filter.

Revalved 05 shocks will be better than stock SSS shock and a hell of alot cheaper.

I have an '05 also and have the same problems with it being very harsh. I spoke with DaveJ (Dave Johnson) at smart performance and this is what he recommended also. Said with the right person doing the suspension the '05 forks can be very very good. I plan on sending my suspension with in the next couple months. If your capable he can also send you the parts you need and you can do it yourself. Just give him a call and he'll answer all you questions.

I have an '05 also and have the same problems with it being very harsh. I spoke with DaveJ (Dave Johnson) at smart performance and this is what he recommended also. Said with the right person doing the suspension the '05 forks can be very very good. I plan on sending my suspension with in the next couple months. If your capable he can also send you the parts you need and you can do it yourself. Just give him a call and he'll answer all you questions.

yeah ive heard dave does a great job with those forks, i dont think im a good enough rider to notice the difference in a newer style fork anyway.

175 main

45 pilot

2 turns out

redline oil when i tried it fouled plugs pretty bad its an oil the needs to be used at full throttle max rpm its more of a cart oil i switched to torco gp7 at 40.1 and perfect.

I will second the motion on the revalved forks - mine work great.

I had the squish band lowered on my head by RB Designs. This cleaned up the carburation and all but eliminated the dreaded spooge. Search here for details.

Congratulations on the sweet bike find! You will love this bike off-road.

Gonna need to go leaner to get rid of the spooge.

You would definitely notice a difference of the SSS forks no matter what level rider you are.

My 05 forks were way to harsh, my 06 is worlds apart on front end. Just get revalved it will make big difference if done right

Edited by trandyd

Mine were revavled and I put some subtanks on

261572_243673555643949_100000039184531_1027510_3600076_n.jpg

What do you think of the subtanks?

I have a 05 YZ250 revalved by Smart Performance and I'm still debating the subtanks. Interestingly I'm not having problems with bottoming out but rather I want to add plushness on square edges and other acceleration bumps. My current setup is great for jumping and cornering, whoops and tracking... just harsh on the other stuff.