Sign in to follow this  

polishing frame

I have an 06 yz250f that had a painted frame I have removed all of the paint and I was wondering if any one had any tips or techniques on polishing my frame thanks.

Man I havent had an alum frame in a loooong time...I used to have a 98 CR125 back in early 2000s that i polished the frame on using just mothers mag/alum polish and a rag. It worked well. However a wheel if possible woulda probably been easier. Not sure if the newer frames if this would work as well or not.

I just used a clean rag and Mother's aluminum polish to do my CRF450. Then used another clean rag to remove all the residue.

It was a ton of effort for something that would just get dull again after ~5-7 rides or so. I just lightly go over the frame lightly with a wet scotch-brite pad now. It gives it that brushed factory-fresh look, is much quicker to do, and lasts longer between when you have to do it again.

• Like 2

Mothers and a polishing clothes works awesome on the upper part of a Honda frame but I think the yamis are more like the lower part of the cr frame and is rough. Your gonna need some sand paper and some serious elbow grease before the mothers even has a chance

Yeah thats what I figured alot of sanding. The lower part is just like the honda but the upper is rough. Is there a certain grit of sand paper im supposed to use I have seen websites that say start at like 100 and work your way up to 1000? At least I know what im doing all weekend now.

I wouldn't do it. It is far to much trouble and once done you will have to chase the shine like lead head mentioned. And the 06 frames look good by just using a scotch brite after every ride or so.

If you do it start with about 600- 800 and go up to 1000-1200 maybe even wet sanding, That way you don't go through so many sheets of paper. Then use mothers or some other polish to finish. Good luck and post some pic for sure.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about repainting it now that I think about all the sanding and up keep. At least I didn't get the paint off for nothing tho because the old paint job had runs and hand prints in it some how. Thanks again for the help.

i got a cr 125 and i at to polish the frame. how do people polish them so they are really shinny?