Sign in to follow this  

Need help, Someone?

So I just got my bike back together yesterday. Took it out on a 2 hour ride. At the very end, my clutch just died. The lever had completely free play. So does the part where the cable connects to the motor, which activates the clutch. Opened up the clutch, to find out that the big nut that holds the basket in place came off somehow. I put that back on, but still nothing. I'm guessing a cable came loose somewhere in the motor, but I can"t locate it. It looks like it goes into the bottom end, and seems like I'd have to split the cases. which is a lot of work. Anyone have any advice or tips what I can do? The bike is a 1985 KX250 if that helps. Thanks!!

there is 1 big ball bearing at the end of the clutch pushrod. did you lose that when you took it apart? look at an online parts fiche like bike bandit to see how it all goes together.

there is 1 big ball bearing at the end of the clutch pushrod. did you lose that when you took it apart? look at an online parts fiche like bike bandit to see how it all goes together.

I don't think dug into the bike that fat in the first place, the farthest I got was taking the clutch out then put it back. Only needed to fix the kickstarter. As I said, It was running perfectly fine for a few hours before it stopped working. Everything is back together but pulling the lever makes the clutch move very slightly, but the pushrod has no tension to it. It's as if the push rod isn't connected to the clutch. I have no clue what to do.

EDIT: just looked up a diagram. Possibly, can I get to that just by removing the clutch?

Edited by PowerbandAddict

i did the same thing to a yamaha blaster i pulled the clutch on. the little bearing came out and i didn't even know it till i put it all back together.

Take off the stator cover and check that side where the cable goes into the actuator to push the rod as well. Whatever it is, it can't be too serious.

BTW, a little loctite goes a long way.

you only have to pull the hub to get to the pushrod. the bearing would have been at the end you are working from. pulling the hub involves pulling the 5 small bolts that retain the springs.

Is the ball bearing #600 still there? If thats good check the cable actuator arm is not broken...#13102

B-8.png

I took the clutch off but I can't see where the bearing would go. Theres the axle which the clutch goes onto, which has a hole in it where i'm guessing the push rod goes through with the bearing. But I can't see in it and nothing is poking out of it. I pushed a screwdriver in there lightly and it did move the arm. Someone please please please reply and help me out again haha, I wanna try and fix this myself without having to put it in the shop.

look on the diagram. the bearing is on the end of the pushrod coming out of the clutch. it goes pushrod, bearing, the small rod than the pressure plate. held in place by the springs and bolts.

look on the diagram. the bearing is on the end of the pushrod coming out of the clutch. it goes pushrod, bearing, the small rod than the pressure plate. held in place by the springs and bolts.

I can't even see the pushrod though.

get a small telescoping magnet and stick it inside where the rod comes threw and pull it out with it. it should be inside.

the long rod won't come all the way out anyhow. the bearing rests inside on the main rod along with the short rod comes out and rests on the pressure plate..

im not sure if the bearing is still there or not. but my experiance with blasters, is sometimes the bearing will disintagate due to poor quality. which may last a long time, but over time just give up the ghost.

Tip the bike over to the right side and watch if the ball does not dropout. If not then you need to find what happened to it. Is it in the trans somewhere rolling around...or did you leave it out the first time?

Tip the bike over to the right side and watch if the ball does not dropout. If not then you need to find what happened to it. Is it in the trans somewhere rolling around...or did you leave it out the first time?

I don't think I even took it out the first time. The first time I had the bike on it's left side until I was done. Then it stopped working, pulled it apart, and the big nut was off. That's all I know for sure.

well pull the pressure plate, look for the bearing. if it is there, than look for something broken or out of place. if the bearing is indeed missing somehow, get a new one and put it back together to factory specs. before putting the cover back on, pull the clutch lever in and out and watch to see if the clutch and pressure plate moves.

Well, today I threw some new oil in it to just go for a quick clutchless ride, come to find out halfway through that the clutch was working again. What the f#$$#%. The bike did seem to have alot less power though... so I'm not sure about that.