Sign in to follow this  

Confused as to what to buy.

Hi all. I am a 44 year old guy, 5'11" and 220 pounds. I have been riding for about ten years now, all street bikes or 650 dual sports with the exception of a DRZs. I am currently shopping for a dirt bike. I am all kinds of confused and backwards here. What I want to do with this bike is trail ride and do some group riding. Maybe try my hand at an endure or scramble and maybe take it onto an MX track or two, just for fun. I have no delusions about actually "winning" any of these things. Mostly, I just want a bike that I can have fun on and plod around behind my wife and kids. I live and ride in the sloppy, rooty and rocky North East. I would only rate my self as a "novice" dirt rider.

What I think is that I would like something totally different. A light bike with no lights or license plates but I'm only going to get one "dirt bike" past my wife and It has to be a "dual sport" for a bunch of reasons. I don't want to be overwhelmed with power or weight. To a point, money isn't a consideration. Got a minute? I am looking at the following bikes:

KTM 200 xc-w or EXC. Nice and light, street legalable. Good components and quality. Instrament panel

Husky TE 250 or 310. Same as above.

CRF 250x. Japanese reliability but no speedo

WR 250f same as above.

KDX 200 because I always wanted to try two strokes.

WR450 Because I have access to one in nice shape for cheep money who's owner I know and respect the owner. Also, I do not think that this particular one has been "de-restrited".

DRZ 400e, because that's the default. A bunch heavier than I would want though...

I have also been toying with the idea of various 205f and 250 2Ts that have been "converted"

Thoughts on this? I am going kind of crazy trying to pick!

Well at least you gave yourself a great deal of choices. You said you were looking for light weight bikes so if I were you, my first choices would be the KTM 200 xc-w or EXC or KDX 200. Both are very light weight, fast when you want and can putt very slow when you don't want. THey both have relativly low maintinence especially the KDX 200. For a next choice, I would go with either the Husky TE 250 or 300, WR 250, or CRF 250x. These bikes can pull down low but have a great deal of added weight compared to the first two and will need more maintinence.

At this point, its up to you to decide if you want a toned down 2 stroke perfect in the woods or a woods 4 stroke. I made this decision and chose the KDX 200 and have loved this choice since.

The last choice bike I would pick is the WR 450. For the riding you listed, you won't be needing this much power or weight. If you find one for a great price however, run with it.

I hope ths sheds some light on your search :bonk:

"

Thats quite a range of bikes..several I have had experience with. The most important thing to note is that there is no one "do it all" bike. If you go with a big bore 4t (such as the WR or DRZ) you can forget about riding MX. WRs are great trail bikes, I just sold one, but they are a bit heavy. The KDX is a reliable, low maintenance capable 2t enduro bike, but again, not MX friendly. As you may be aware, they stopped making KDXs in 2006. I just happend to have sold a KDX220 to a friend recently. The CRF250X and WR250 are going to be higher maintenace in the long run than any other bikes listed. They also are not super light for the power they produce..but they are capable trail bikes. My vote would be the KTM 200...or maybe consider a 250 XC. The KTM is fairly low maintenance, high performance, low weight, and versatility all in one bike. The XC would go from trail to track with much better results than any other bike listed. I own a 2007 300 XC. I bought it from a guy that rode 90% MX and I ride 100% trails...thats versitile. All I did was slap on some handguards and a kickstand (which he had removed and lost), tweaked the suspension clickers, and i was on the trail.

Note: 2012 TE250 model comes in at 2" lower seat height than 2011 model. Lowering link available for other brands/models ( koubalink.com ).

Edited by calbikeman2