Sign in to follow this  

Factory Connection Blown Shock?

My "new to me" KTM 250sxf has factory connection suspension, I took it out yesterday and set the rear shock 5 clicks harder then the softest setting for my compression and I found it almost bottoming in shallow sand whoops (note they were up hill). I had noticed before the ride that there was a little bit of leakage on the shaft of the shock. After the ride this leakage had vanished. I was only left with spooge on the shock spring. I would say the shock is set to soft but I only weigh 135 and it being made for motocross I don't think even the softest setting would cause it to bottom out. I'm wondering how to check for a blown shock or any leads on what may be the problem. I have never really had any major problems with my rear suspension so I'm looking for some help.

You should not have oil on the shaft, you could take the shock off, remove the spring, turn all clickers to fully soft and see if it moves smooth (it takes a lot of force ) and no noise like sandpaper

Oh and check it fully returns within 5 seconds from compressed

Well that shows it still has pressure, is it smooth feeling? Is the shaft still wet?

The body moves smooth into the shaft, but there is still fluid on the shaft. I'm thinking it is just going to need a new head seal because the bladder is still good. I should be in and out for under $50.

The shock needs a new seal, a seal head is probably not needed, but they are the hardest shock to service and bleed, do lots of research if you plan to do it yourself

You are right the seal head is not needed, I just need the seal. Mostly I was worried about the nitrogen charge after I replaced the seal on this one. I did some research and found that most dealers will charge it up for around $5. My guess was that the seal replacement wouldn't be too difficult, but I really only have working experience with forks. You mean the original WP setups are hard to service?

They are very hard to bleed, most use a vacuum pump