Sign in to follow this  

Keeping my frame nice.

I just got my frame back from the powder coater today and it looks super nice! The guy said it was one of the best he had ever done and it really looks it!

So now I'm thinking of the best way to keep it looking good for as long as possible. I was originally going to throw some bed liner or something on the parts where my legs rub, and along the bottom. Has anyone tried this?

Another option would be frame savers, but they don't look like they cover much, and I don't know who makes good ones.

I think I remember seeing somewhere someone wrapping their frame in medical tape (or whatever it's called) on the sides where the your legs rub. That might look kind of cool, the frame is black so white or black tape would probably look cool. I don't know if it would work or hold up though.

What does everyone use?

You could just not ride it.

But thats not really the purpose of a dirtbike now...is it.

ETA: as far as "what I use", I just use the inside of my boots to wear the paint off the frame.

Edited by Revelyell

I think the medical tape would wear off quickly and white would look really dirty after one ride.

You could try something like skateboard grip tape. I think there is even a company that makes something very similar specifically for bike frames. Obviously this would only be for where your boots rub and not for the bottom rails.

Medical tape would look cool until you ride it once, then torn up or nasty. Some have good luck with bed liner, me not so much. We use grip tape for stairs from home depot. Cheap $5 or $6 and you get enough

to re apply like ten times as it wears kind of quickly. Not much will hold up long for MX. My son will destroy the tape the frame and the boots when grinding out MX motos if I don't stay on top of it. I just clean up and re-apply. Mine last me about 5+ rides.

The only thing I don't like about grip tape is the sanding away of my tech10's. :bonk:

Just take a lot of photos, prior to the first ride, then you will always be able to see the bike in its pristine form.....

Just take a lot of photos, prior to the first ride, then you will always be able to see the bike in its pristine form.....

Haha, I guess that's going to have to be my only solution! I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind dings or scratches from use. I'm the same way with my rifles, they're a tool and will get used and abused.

Besides, it was only like $150 to get the frame blasted and powdercoated, if it really gets that bad, I can always just have it done again!

I was just wondering since I've seen things like bolt on frame savers if they were worth the money or not or what worked best. Now I'm just wondering if it will be easier to haul my bike up the stairs in the shop to the little photo studio, or haul the little photo studio down the stairs to the bike :bonk:

You just have to make a choice to accept the wear or use the frame guards which will also get worn and need touch up and will cover up the shiny powder coated frame from sight. I have the Lightspeed carbon fiber ones on my CRFX, to keep them looking decent you have to put tire dressing on them and where the boots rub all the carbon fiber is worn away to the base material. Aluminum ones will get black marks on them. I think the Hyde composite ones would be the best compromise as tire dressing will keep them looking new and there is no pattern to wear off.