Sign in to follow this  

Wiseco Crank kits

i know this has been talked to death in this forum and everybody has an opinion.....however, after just under 300 hours of glorious riding time my 2008 yz295 needs a crank. i pulled it apart yesterday to change the crank seal as i was loosing about 100 ml of oil between changes. the crank didn't look terrible but did have a tiny bit of lateral play. you could see the seal flex a little bit. it is time to do the crank for sure. This is the oem crank from 08 and will be the first time the cases need to be split. i am pretty happy with that. i put a new seal in and plan to run the bike for another 4-6 weeks while i stash parts.

i am a huge fan of oem parts from yamaha. i always run oem gaskets, seals, clutch plates etc. i would like to run an OEM crank assembly but damn they are pricey. i know that Wiseco had some quality issues years back with there crank assemblies. are they still junk? i see the complete kit with gaskets seals and bearings for $160 vs $270 for the oem crank by itself....awfully tempting. however, if an oem unit will get me another 300 hours trouble free it might be worth the extra scratch. what are your thoughts fellas?

I do not have any experience with aftermarket crank kits, but you could have your OEM rebuilt, Gorr comes to mind. I had my 99 crank rebuilt after a melt down, I don't have what just that part cost as I had to rebuild the whole engine.

In my YZ450 the only good choice for a new crank was oem....I'm sure the same applies for a 2-stroke. For the extra $$ it is a small price to pay IMO for a better product.

I just pulled mine, original from 05 with many many hours. My plan is to have it rebuilt with a Pro x rod kit. I am pondering over which set of bearings to use now.

Edited by YZRob

the crank didn't look terrible but did have a tiny bit of lateral play. you could see the seal flex a little bit.

Lateral play in the crankshaft or the lower connecting rod bearing? I don't think the crankshaft is supposed to wear out. The bearings may be worn. What could be wrong with the crank itself unless one of the bearings has spun and somehow cut up the mating surface? At any rate, every part of that crank assembly is available for sale seperately and you could replace parts if necessary.

I would definitely stick with OEM.

I've had several bikes and I would say stick with OE stuff unless you are looking to stroke it or go with a Corillo rod. Look on Service Hondas parts fiche. I know its a honda site but they sell the big 5 parts and I always seem to get great prices off of there plus good service. Their price for a crank assembly is 259. Thats not bad but everyone has their own ideas on what is expensive etc.

just put a wiseco crank in my '05 this week. very impressed with how complete the kit is. couldn't justify the oem price knowing i still had to buy bearings, seals, and gaskets. even a rod kit and install was pretty damn close to the cost of the wiseco kit. then there's the bearings ect. funny, no one responded with any real problems with the wiseco kit, just what they "would do".

I'm on my second Wiseco crank, last one did around 270 hrs, no issues at all, especially the price.

What you save over OEM, you can put into Gearbox bearings. Order them now as I had a bit of a wait for mine (OEM).

The wiseco quality is good, your running their piston already.

They are cheap ill give you that. The last weisco crank I ran the stuffer bolts kept coming loose and hitting the rod. I tigtened them 3 times before junking the crank and getting a oem crank. I figured it wasnt worth running cheap stuff and having a risk of wrecking my cases. Im sticking withoem cranks from now on.

I bought a kit a couple years ago. I seem to recall mine had koyo bearings. I checked it for true and it was about .0015" out.....not bad. I knocked it in to .0005" and its uber smooth. The offset key is the only gripe I have.

I also have a wiseco bottom end kit for my 2000 YZ250 that I will be installing soon. Looks like high quality to me, passes the eye test anyway. It does come with Koyo crank bearings which are the same as OEM. Lots of stuff for a great price. I read up on these kits and decided to go with it as I've seen many more good reviews than bad ones. Seems the few bad reviews were years ago....

How do you tighten the stuffer bolts? What tool can you fit in there? I wanted make sure mine were tight as I've read about them backing out but I see no way to fit anything in there. How did you do it s14 2510s?

I ground the tip off an angled alen wrench. Honestly I wouldnt tighten them unless they are coming out as might break some loctite loose that they put on them. There wasnt enoufgh room to back them out to put loctite on them. If I had a siringe I could have maybee done it that way. I also am still using the seals that came with and I just had a crank seal start leaking air and wreck my 295 kit. The crank seals had 70-80 hours on them. The timiming beeing off 5 degrees was BS too. From now on im sticking with oem it realy has never done me wrong besides my checkbook.

Well if I could get 70+ hours on this kit that's ok with me for now anyway. I may not even keep the bike you never know with me haha. I've bought quite a few different bikes over the last couple years, fixed them up, had fun riding them for a minute and sold or traded for something else that "I wanted" at the time.

I'm sure I will really like this YZ though so hopefully the engine will last a long time like others have had.

I'm around 175 hours on a wiseco bottom end. Honestly for the money you can't beat it. They defiantly don't run as smooth as oem or at least mine doesn't but the kit and parts are great. I'm about to do mine to and I'm aving the hardest time deciding weather to use another one or not. I wish Wiseco sold a rod kit that included all the bottom end gaskets, bearings and seals for 100-120$ then I could just have my old oem crank rebuilt by crank works and have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Kurtis85

Lateral play in the crankshaft or the lower connecting rod bearing? I don't think the crankshaft is supposed to wear out. The bearings may be worn. What could be wrong with the crank itself unless one of the bearings has spun and somehow cut up the mating surface? At any rate, every part of that crank assembly is available for sale seperately and you could replace parts if necessary.

I would definitely stick with OEM.

thanks for all the replies guys. it is actually the main bearings that have play in them. when i did the topend 20 hours ago the rod was still good with no play. However, if i'm going to split the cases i want to put a fresh crank in it. i would hate to put fresh main bearings in it and have the crank go a few months later. i think i might spring for the oem crank and then send my oem crank thats in the bike now off for a rebuild when i have some extra dough. i did look at hot rods but they don't sell a complete kit so cost wise they are not far from oem. the wiseco kit is really cheap. it is less than half the cost of oem.

Edited by rodgini

Cranks last a long time so I wouldn't worry about it if it's within spec, has no up/down play and no physical damage and has less than 300 hours or some other high number you want to go by.

• Like 1