Sign in to follow this  

03 cr250 vs 06 cr250

Hey currently I've got a 2003 cr250 and can sell it and get a 2006 cr250 for a fairly good price. I was just wondering from people with person experience if the 06 is much better? I've heard from some people that 06 has a much wider powerband.. just want to know if its worth the extra cash to get the 2006 or should I just put that money into my 03? Let me know soon.. thanks!

I have owned and raced the 03 & 06 and currently have a 2007. My 03 was a very good bike with a strong even spread of power. The 2006 had more of a hit but the power spread was shorter. Both bikes handled very well. The 2006 has a different power valve internally but still runs off an electric servo motor. The airbox was improved too in 2006. I don't know what condition your bike is in or the one you're looking at but if they are about the same then the differences are minor. If your 03 has considerably more hours and the price difference is worth it then get the 2006. You might get lots of opinions on this but I had both bikes. PM me if you have any specific questions.

its def. better but i dont know if its enough to justifying selling your current bike to get basically the same one

the 04-07 cr250s suspension is better but you can take a set of newer CR or CRF suspension and bolt it right on to your CR

Honestly..if you're going to sell it, you might as well either keep it or get a YZ or something.

Only in it's most wildest of dreams........

is the yz better or somthing? then the cr

so is it worth spending the extra money on the 06 or should i just put that money into my cr? the bike will be mostly a trail bike with a little bit of mx and dunes

There is a sticky at the top about the model year changes, you should really decide for yourself if it's worth it or not after you compare the features of the different years.

well i know the changes. but i just want to know from somones personal experience if those changes made a big notiable difference

Depends on if you're looking for top or bottom end. The newer CR's with the throttle position sensor add too much spark advance and kill the top end, yours has slightly less bottom then the newer ones but screams on top. You can put any carb you want on yours without worry if it comes with TPS or not and as far as maintenance goes, I think you have to remove the cylinder on both the 02-04 and 05-07 to clean the power valves, so the fact the newer ones come in a removable case doesn't make it any easier. You can fix the bottom end power on yours and still have killer top end. It's not a night and day difference between 02-04 and 05-07 as far as improvements go, but I wouldn't sell my 06' to get a 02-04 model.

is the yz better or somthing? then the cr

The CR handles as good if not better but the motor on the RM or YZ is alot better, stock for stock and mod for mod.

If you were gonna get something newer I'd take a look at the 2004+ RM250 or the 2005+ yz250

if you're a trail guy...no hands down..the YZ is a better bike. that motor RIPS!!!

Edited by nj_wrx_rider

The CR handles as good if not better but the motor on the RM or YZ is alot better, stock for stock and mod for mod.

If you were gonna get something newer I'd take a look at the 2004+ RM250 or the 2005+ yz250

if you're a trail guy...no hands down..the YZ is a better bike. that motor RIPS!!!

I disagree. For technical trail riding the CR motor is better for me anyway.

well currently my cr250 has a kehin carb, jd jet kit, ported, shaved head, v force 3 reeds, pro circit platium pipe, and im getting ready to buy reed spacers. so i dont know if any of these mods would have helped much over a stock cr250

I disagree. For technical trail riding the CR motor is better for me anyway.

while the lack of hit off the bottom could be an advantage..no reason a flywheel weight wouldnt help the YZ

Out of all the 250 2-strokes I think the CR is probably the only one that isn't a jack-of-all trades due to it's motor...it's more at home on the freestyle ramps and the motocross circuits

@OP

if you're a serious trail/dune rider there are better bikes out there (the YZ) for you...but that's only if you really think a new bike will improve your riding.

YOu need to ask yourself what your goal is..to improve as a rider or if you just want a new bike...if it's the latter, there is a YZ in your future

Edited by nj_wrx_rider

If I were going to buy a bike that was going to be ridden 100% stock, I would chose an '06 and up YZ250.

I don't leave anything stock for long and think that the YZ250 is butt ugly though...

I think this may be a case of "the grass is greener" thinking. While the '06 may or may not be a better overall bike, the question is: is it a better overall bike for YOU? Only way to tell is to take it for a spin ... you'll quickly be able to tell if you should put a sign on yours.

so you guys think that my 03 cr250 with all those mods is decent compared to the 06 yz250? i use my cr250 for a lot of woods riding, and a little bit of mx/dunes. (also got oversized tank, skid plate, fmf turbine core 2 muffler, and lowered fork oil, and soon a FWW)

so you guys think that my 03 cr250 with all those mods is decent compared to the 06 yz250? i use my cr250 for a lot of woods riding, and a little bit of mx/dunes. (also got oversized tank, skid plate, fmf turbine core 2 muffler, and lowered fork oil, and soon a FWW)

The YZ250 is a great bike and if you're sick of your CR then you should do the swap. However, I've owned a 03 04 and 07 YZ250. Good bike but tends to be to aggressive motor wise for technical all-day trail rides. The mechanical power valve comes on too strong. The only way I found the motor to be very useful in the woods was to run a Rekluse Pro clutch on it. This emphasized torque over hit. This mod makes the YZ very good for woods work. The CR already has that characteristic IMO.

If you ride a KTM woods bike you'll find it to be somewhat like the CR motor wise but no snap. I like snap and feel that the CR has snap and torque.

Lots of YZ lovers out there that probably have not owned a case-reed CR before. Before owning one I bashed them too and said the YZ was better. :bonk:

I own an 02/03 & 07 they are basically the same bike with some revised upgrades most notably in the engine dept. My 03 has mods & feel is a better all around package vs. my stock 07. Most bikes are moded to suit your style of riding & type of riding terrain. What is it that your looking for in a bike ? Who did your engine mods ?

I have a 05 setup for woods, that I really like in the woods. Last year I flipped a 02. Didnt really spend any time on the 02 other than when jetting it on a gravel road. I thought it was a great engine, very smooth throughout. Didnt ride them back to back, but didnt feel there was a significant difference in the power department, actually felt like the lower end was a little better and overall smoother transition from down low.