Sign in to follow this  

first ride on 12 450 not good!

took my new 12 to the track for the first time today,probably the shortest day at the track ever,

0.3 hrs on the hr meter and a huge backfire bike grinds to a halt and pitches me over the bars???

day over,not good the bike kicks over and will fire up sometimes!!! only at idle if i touch the throttle

it backfires and dies, then refuses to start again for another five minutes on which it does the same

thing????? i have tried all the connections for tightness etc.could it be a spark plug??? blocked

injector???? reckon i should go back to the dealer for my 350 ktm!!!!

Not sure about any warranty stuff in Europe but take it back to the dealership, if you checked all electrical connections already and changed the plug it could be something else that went bad. You could test the injector and other electronics but will need the service manual, with the bike being brand new I would get the dealer involved now. Highly doubt it is a blocked injector that early unless you poured a ton of dirty fuel into the tank, sorry about your issues and let us know what you find.

Oh man, that doesn´t sound fun... I have 0.1 hours. I´m scared now. :bonk: No not really, but I´m curious as to what the problem could be. Be sure to tell us, take pics if possible.

I have removed every electrical connector on mine and greased them. I´m also strongly considering getting a split stream fuel filter.

Bad fuel pump maybe?

As stated, hopefully you put in clean 90+ octane, and nothing clogged up already.

Sounds fuel related moreso than eletrical, but I also never owned a dirtbike with this much eletronics. Plenty of sportbikes, but they have a gauge that usually can give a readout. Is your launch-mode light flashing at all? Read somewhere it can give you a code if there's an electrical gremlin.

Your motor is not even broke in at 0.3 hrs. If you were out hitting the rev limiter you may have some serious problems. Follow the break in procedure on a new 4t or deal with the consequences.

Your motor is not even broke in at 0.3 hrs. If you were out hitting the rev limiter you may have some serious problems. Follow the break in procedure on a new 4t or deal with the consequences.

And, what exactly would those consequences be?

guys maybe i should have gave you some info on myself,53 yr old vet,35 yrs uninterupted riding,have owned nearly every mx bike ever made,lol very capable mechanical skills,ie rebuilding my own engines etc.i know how to properly run a bike in,i am just not up to speed with the electronic bits and bobs,and thought i would ask the questions on the forum here before returning it to the dealer,who says that they have never had these problems on any kawi they have sold since 09!!!!to cut a long story short im taking it to the dealer on monday,since my first post i have stripped of the tank,physicly followed every wire in the complete loom unplugged each din plug and reconnected again,fiited a new spark plug,emtied the fuel tank and used fresh fuel,checked the kill switch,i have access to a calibration tool from an 11 but the dealer has told me not to use it or there def be no warranty?? incidently ive had the bike about 6 weeks but only started it for the first time on friday morning,so there may be no warranty!! 28 days and all that crap.

Edited by muggie

Update on my new bike woe's,after talking to my local dealer who informed me that there was no technical

mechanic in the shop until the 8th of march,[on holiday] but to bring the bike there anyway and he would confer with kawasaki.anyway i went at it again on sunday evening, checking all din plugs fuel lines etc but to no avail,i then went ahead

and hooked up 12v power to the bike,earthed the ground wire to the chassis which puts the dfi into dealer mode which allows

you to read the fault code indicator,surprise surprise the fault code reading indicated an ecu fault??? so i unplugged the

ecu and left it unplugged overnight,and surprise again this morning the bike fired up first kick and is running 100% again.

i take it the ecu must have reset/cleared the fault or something,weird shit or what???/

Computers! Old school carbs were so reliable!

Don´t all carbed bikes have CDI´s?

muggie, that's awesome. I mean that you found the problem, and HOW you found the problem! How'd you learn those tricks?

I agree with Corndog, I'd be seeking a replacement ECU at Kawi's expense.

numroe i suppose having to work at my own bikes fro the past 35yrs helped a little!! lol

as regards to the ecu replacement i will have to see how the bike runs,over the next few

rides,and the dealer has been made aware of the problem,but with the bike being outside

the 28 day warranty i dont think they are gonna replace the ecu,especially since the bike

is running ok again,

HG, interesting.

Muggie, if the ECU now shows code(s) to says it is healthy, will you trust it? I'd not trust it until I found some reassuring explanation why it could have been initially messed up, and that reason means all hardware components could be fine.

numroe according to the fault codes everything is now clear [ ie there is none]had the bike on track today and it ran solidly for 2 hrs,i havent a clue what messed it up,one suggestion from the kawi boffins is i could have accidently activated the luanch control button with my knee or something???? apparently this is not a good thing!!! only to be selected when stationary and at idle speed????, as far as how the bike is performing,im finding it very hard to get used to the actual weight of the thing,feels like a big tub compared to the 350 ktm,thats not to mention the excess horsepower in this thing even with the black map in place,maybe ive just simply had to many birthdays :bonk::lol:

numroe according to the fault codes everything is now clear [ ie there is none]had the bike on track today and it ran solidly for 2 hrs,i havent a clue what messed it up,one suggestion from the kawi boffins is i could have accidently activated the luanch control button with my knee or something???? apparently this is not a good thing!!! only to be selected when stationary and at idle speed????, as far as how the bike is performing,im finding it very hard to get used to the actual weight of the thing,feels like a big tub compared to the 350 ktm,thats not to mention the excess horsepower in this thing even with the black map in place,maybe ive just simply had to many birthdays :bonk::lol:

Excess horsepower never heard of that before lmao .dont twist the the throttle so fast ...