Sign in to follow this  

Taking hubs off my wheels to powdercoat

Alright guys, I have been thinking of taking my wheels apart so that I can get the hubs powdercoated.. I have never put a wheel together or taken one apart how hard is it to do this? does the wheel have to be trued when done? I have never done this any information would be great thanks!

the wheel definitely needs to be trued. should be obvious, as it needs to come apart to do this.

take lots of pics, tag spokes with notes as to their location - ie. left, right, inner, outer and it can be done.

Not a big deal, looks harder than it really is. The rim will tell you what direction the spoke goes all it takes is a littl common sense and a bit of patience to true. Just be sure when taking off to separate left and right- inner and outer spokes as I've read DRZs have different left-right lengths.

And I will add, you need to remove the bearings and seals becouse of the baking process . Thier is also a good chance you will need to drill out the holls where the spokes go becouse of the added thikness of the powder

Its not a bad idea to put a small punch mark on the outer edge of the hub that lines up with the valve stem hole in order to orient (or clock) the hub for easier relacing when the time comes. The key to respoking is to start with a wheel that's already straight. You can make small adjustments to a relatively straight wheel but anything major is a slow descent to hell. But the job is defiantly do-able. Take lots of pictures as others have said, and measure the amount of offset on the rear wheel with a straight edge and feeler gauges to reference later.

Not only should the bearings be removed, the bearing bores should be masked to prevent any powder build up. The powder coater will have hi temp masking materials.