Sign in to follow this  

XR200 gas tank compatability question

Hi im wanting to know what all year gas tanks will bolt right up to my 1986 xr 200r?? My tank is still good but id like to upgrade to a newer white gas tank & keep my original red one so my bike can be returned to original but think it looks goofy with red tank & white fenders. I know the new xr's have hte white tanks but wasnt sure what all yrs of tanks & fenders will interchange with my 86. Are these parts the same as the xr 250s as well? thanks for the info in advance.

WOW 43 views but yet no one has any input on the question. that amazes me :bonk: it appears that 86 to 02 are the same but no sure on this info thats just what i could find from peoples info on ebay for selling parts.

Edited by Super_Dave_344

You are in luck, all xr200r frames from 1984 to 2002 are the same. Therefore the gas tanks are all interchangeable for those years. 1981 - 1983 xr200r are different frames and not compatible. The fenders are also interchangeable front and rear between the 1984 to 2002 bikes. 1984 xr250r and 1985 xr250r will also fit your bike if you can live with an orangey red colour. Lots of choice.

thanks mark thats what i wanting to hear!! lol no issues with the red/orange just looks silly with white fenders..blue seat & red tank so im gonna for white & blue look on it i think (plus since im mostly a yamaha guy it will look right in my garage) :bonk:

Edited by Super_Dave_344

THe best thing i did was by a couple older xr 200 tanks took them to a shop got them painted red put stock graphics on them and i was a set total investment price 200$

Be careful of 84-85 XR tanks; they are a bit lighter in weight but they can leak around the front mounts, don't ask. The 84-85 tank is a slightly different fit than the stock tank (the stud for the rear hold down and seat), but it fits.

If less fuel capacity will work the XR100 tank is an option. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/920390-xr200-alternate-fuel-tanks/page__hl__xr100__fromsearch__1

Dang I should have checked here before I put a 4 gal Clark from a yz 426 on my '85. Oh well it was cheap and I'll go forever. Ha ha