Sign in to follow this  

New to KTM - Buying a 250 XC-W

I'm new to KTM - Having come from the Suzuki world. I sometimes ride with a local club that rides harescrambles and single track stuff and over 1/2 of them ride KTMs so I figured I'd give KTM a shot when I bought my next bike. So far, from the things I've read, they are excellent machines.

I am going to be picking up an 08 250 XC-W on Sunday and am curious about a couple things.

#1: What type (and how much) trans fluid would you recommend? I've always run Castrol Type F ATF in my 2 stroke transmissions before... Never had any issues. I'm open to suggestions with a KTM.

#2: Is there a type of premix preferred by KTM owners? I've always run Motul 800 premix at 32:1 and again, never had any issues with it.

#3: What's the general consensus on the XC-W models? I know about the wider ratios and the fork differences, but has anyone bought one then wished they'd just gotten an XC? I've never ridden an XC or XC-W so I really have nothing to base a guess off of. I ride primarily in semi tight woods, although I do like to ring it out when I get into an open area. In the past, I've ridden RM250s so that's really all I've got to compare it to. I decided to go with an XC-W primarily for the standard electric start, not necessarily for the ratio.

Any help would be great. I pick the bike up Sunday and am super excited!

You bought a great bike there, as for W vs Non-W well that's all personal preference and you'd have to ride both extensively to really come to any certain conclusion.

As for the oil, Motul 800 is a great choice but 32:1 is pretty rich, with that oil you can easily/safely run 60:1 but I've never gone more than 50:1 and never had any issues.

I personally really like Rotella-T oil (tons of people use this as well) for the tranny, it exceeds all recommendations and is only like $20/gal at Walmart.

Edited by Wrfrk

Congrats! I bought my first KTM a couple of years ago and just bought a 250SX. Have no regrets and most likely will not look back! Still have the two Zooks but will never sell the Service Honda KX500AF, eventually the Zooks are gone. I didn't abandon Suzuki where two strokes are concerned they left me! The KTM's are turning out to be great machines!

. I didn't abandon Suzuki where two strokes are concerned they left me! The KTM's are turning out to be great machines!

That's kind of the way I feel, too!

I too recommenad rotella 15/40. no need to run at 32 to 1 ....most run anywhere from 40 to 60 to 1.

Joe

Cool - I'll start at 40:1 and go from there - I've always been overly cautious on the oil side of things - My first bike had a cooked top end and needed a complete rebuild and replate because the P/O ran it waaaaay to lean on the mix.

As for the oil for the trans, how much does this trans case hold?

#1- 700cc's, Rotella t, Rekluse recommends it for their clutches but works well period, $13 a gallon, change often

#2- I am a Super M fan, at 32:1, that ratio works for me in small or large bores, and gives the ability to take a little straight gas in an emergency

#3- XC-W works well for me most places, but is very at home in the woods

You cant wrong with either, they are very adaptable to owner preference, I love mine