Sign in to follow this  

Bike for beginner

I'm intrested in getting a dirt bike and I have no idea about anything about bikes. I'm 17, I weigh 64kg (140 pounds) and I'm 6ft tall. The type of bike I'm looking for is one that I can drive around off-road and cross country, on a beach, up hills, mucky fields and such. I'm not sure if I'll want to do any racing but most likely not. Mainly for off-road fun. The price range is around 1500 euro, can be a few hundred over but the cheaper the better. I'm going to get one second-hand. I don't mind the brand of bike. I am a complete beginner so go easy on me.

CRF250x or WR250f. Both come with pretty tame motors, electric start, very good stock suspension, kick stands, lights and wide ratio transmissions. You weight and height will work well with these bikes. They can also be hopped up in the future if your needing more power or suspension improvements.

I was looking at the Honda CRF 250 which according to the ten minutes of reaserch seemed like a good bike, i just didn't know which one would be good for my hight. Thanks for the replay and I'll check out this WR250f. Would a Honda CRF250 from 2004/2005 be any good?

I have very little personal experience with the CRF250x but I have heard about problems with the heads. If your buying used, it won't matter which bike. The condition of the bike, including maintence is most important. Take the bike to a shop and have it looked over, spending a few dollars now might save you big time in the future.

The one I'm looking at right now is the 250R not X. The X is meant to be more for trial riding and the R for racing but will it make a huge diffirence for me as a beginner?

KDX 200 doesn't seem bad but it also doesn't look like that there are many for sale here in Ireland

The only problem for me is that it's 2 stroke because I read that 4 stroke is better for beginners.

Rebounder.....not sure anyone answered your question about the "R" or the "X". For the type of riding you want to do (and how I imagine riding to be in Ireland), you want to go with the "X" or the "WR". These are wide ratio transmissions which typically means the gearing is wider spaced as compared to a motocross bike. That usually translates into a bike that is lower geared (i.e. you can more easily go up a tight, steep, loose trail at low rpm's and mph than you can with an MX bike with a close ratio transmission). It also means in the higher gears, with a wide ratio transmission you can run higher speeds. For example with a close ratio MX transmission, the slowest speed you might be able to run it in 1st gear without stalling might be 8 mph and the highest speed in 5th gear might be about 55 mph. With a wider ratio, you might be able to run it in 1st gear at 3-4 mph and top speed in 5th gear might be about 65-75 mph.

As far as 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke i think a beginner can learn on either one as long as either option has a wide ratio gearbox on a trail/enduro oriented bike. The WR250F (4 stroke) has a very good reputation for reliability. The CRF250X (4 stroke) has valve recession issues on 2007 and prior. A two stroke enduro/trail bike would be pretty reliable and if something does need to be replaced would be cheaper than a 4 stroke that includes all the extra valve train parts.

KTM offers a lot of wide ratio enduro bikes in two stroke and four stroke (Their designation XC-W or EXC is for wide ratio transmission, XC is for semi-wide ratio transmission). A lot of the KTM enduro bikes also have 6 speeds.

I dont really know what is available in Ireland, but the suggestions for CRF250X, WR250F are good. KTM also makes a KTM250XCF-W ("F" for four stroke, "W" for wide ratio).

For two stroke enduro/trail motorcycles, I dont think I would recommend that you start with anything larger than 200 CC's (which is going to be more powerful than the watercooled 4 stroke 250 cc bikes). This leaves KTM 200 XC-W, KTM 200 EXC, KTM 150 XC, KDX200 (last year made 2006), KDX220 (last year made 2005). Also, you might look at some other Euro enduro bikes in two stroke that I suspect may be available in Ireland such as GasGas EC200, Husaberg TE125, Husky WR125/WR150.

you might want to look in to a kdx 200

I second that, easy to ride and cheap to maintain! New riders or people looking to get into the sport always ask me what to buy and say they hear 4 strokes are much more reliable? I always respond with how much are you looking to spend? The usual response is not a huge amount of money for my first bike! That being said if your looking to spend a low amount of money on a used 4 stroke be prepared it could cost you big money in the end. I have a buddy who purchased a 2007 KTM 250 SX-f for over $4000. This bike blew up two weeks after he purchased it, the end result was a $3400 repair bill. So he now has $7400 dollars invested into a bike that is five years old. The riding thing is new to you and maintaining the bike is new to you as well. The two stroke is so much easier to maintain and repair and riding one in the end will produce you to be a better rider. All this info is coming from someone who owns a 2009 crf 450r, buy yourself a two stroke you won't regret it.

Thank you SilvFx and loves2ride for all the info. I really apreaciate it. I guess 2 stroke is much better for me as I don't know if I'll even like dirt biking and the low cost is really a plus. Could you's tell me if any of these bikes are any good.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3055817

This looks like a good deal but I'm not sure if it's too strong for me as SilvFx mentioned.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2999223

An example of the type of cfr I could get

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-motorbikes-scooters-yzf-250-2003-W0QQAdIdZ352848674

Very cheap

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-motorbikes-scooters-Husqvarna-TC-250-2005-W0QQAdIdZ352842541

Never heard of the brand, but it doesn't look bad either

Would a 125 or 150 be too slow for me and would a 250 be too strong on a 4 stroke?

The gas gas MIGHT be too much bike (2 stroke is faster per cc that 4 stroke per CC)

The crfr and yzf, are race bikes, its your money, but probably not a good idea...

The husqvarna is good, its a 250, four stroke, i think it has a wider transmission, they are popular here in the states for the people that can actually get their hands on them...

Although the YZF is a race bike how much of a diffirence would it really make compared to Husqvarna for trails?

Edited by ReBounder

Of the four you listed. The GasGas250 is probably the most suitable trail machine. If you go easy on throttle it might be workable and practice on lots of easy stuff first. Cant tell if the price is good since I dont know the market. Also not sure about parts, dealers, service network in Europe. I presume it is better than USA since they are made in Spain, but that is assumption only.

the Yami and Honda are MX bikes with close ratio trans, probably raced and likely to need expensive rebuilds. I would avoid.

the TC250 to my knowledge is a close ratio transmission but the power would be about right to start out on. I think it is a six speed, but I am not sure.

So I guess a 250 2 stroke is too strong, I'll keep that in mind. When I decide what I'll get I'll post it here just to make sure its good but that might be a week or 2 away. If anyone has any tips feel free to share and thankyou everyone who has already posted.

Edited by ReBounder