Sign in to follow this  

Wass-hub ?

Greetings from the far away land of NZ !!

Im 16, and I have just started hitting the trails with a Xr200r, however for the 1400.00 NZD I bought it for, it's had a few issues....

When I first bought it, after inspection.....

1) The throttle was sticky (cable was problematic).....got it replaced for $100.00.

2) Just recently I got the rear wheel bearing/spacers replaced for $250.00 (as they had become worn).

And I have now been told during a service that the rear wheel hub is worn and the new bearing doesn't quite fit well inside it.

That's another $400.00 for the hub. They (Tracktion) temporarily tightened the bearing in the hub by fastenening it somehow, though it won't be a permanen fix.

All of this during my first month of dirtbiking, on my first dirtbike......which is supposedly a model which is "built like a tank", and requires minimal maintenance.

Im just wondering where I can get a hub for a cheaper price, as $400.00 is a lot to spend on a bike which even after a bit of $$, isn't getting anywhere.

How much longer could I possibly go riding untill the hub definately needs changing ??

Dirtbiking isn't necessarily a 'cheap' hobby, and that it get's quite frustrating when your bike just seems to have something wrong with it all the time.....Especially for a noob like myself. Should I possibly learn to fix it myself rather than paying for all the labour that a mechanic charges ??

I've got a hell of a lot to learn, Im open to constructive critisism, ideas.....and would like to gain more experiance in the field. This forum seems to be home to a cool bunch of petrol heads who I could learn a lot from. :bonk:

Cheers,

AJ

Edited by DirtbikeAJ

Bearings and spacers cost $250 there? Don't you have a version of eBay? And yes,learn to do some of this yourself. Things like wheel bearing and throttle cable replacement are really simple. Replacing a hub might be better left to somebody who knows what they are doing. Better yet,done by you with assistance from somebody who knows what they are doing.

Edited by timmyp8823

He definitely needs to learn how to do some wrenching, a throttle cable costs $20, It isn't that hard to figure out. And 250 for wheel bearings...that 250 could have bought the parts and the blind bearing puller set with some money left over. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Knowledge is priceless.

Wheel bearing and spacer from Allballs....$30.63 Whl Brg - Seal Kit - Rear 25-1214 $15.02 Detail In Stock Wheel Spacer Kit - Rear 11-1017 $15.61 Detail

And any bike with considerable age or use will need things like bearings, chains, sprockets, cables. I bought my 08 Gasgas 300 in 2010, the guy before me rode it a lot. It needed piston rings, wheel bearings, kickstarter lever, both brake levers were sloppy. Would have cost a fortune to have a shop do that stuff, but I did it all. Sometimes a little TLC and maintenance is in order. Start building up a set of tools, and as long as you take care of them they will last you a lifetime. The tools will pay for themselves quite quickly. As you can see, it has already cost you $300 buck in labor for some really simple jobs.

Yeah, where ever your having this stuff done at is giving it to you with no Vaseline, even in New Zealand $$.

It is true, Motion pro throttle cables are $10 (just bought one last week) here in the States, so even at double (or triple) that in NZ, you see what we mean. And wheel bearings are $25 to $30 per set. You may need to get a set of Circlip pliers, but otherwise you can drive them out with a hammer and drift punch, back in with the same hammer and a socket that fits the outer bearing race. For the price the shaft shop is charging you, you can buy all the tools you need and then some (even at NZ prices), and have a bunch of $$ left over.

As for the hub.. I think they are trying to bend you over for another $400. My guess is that there's nothing wrong with the hub as your not going to "temporarily tighten" the bearing.

I think your just getting royally screwed by a very unscrupulous shop. Get a service manual and some tools, do everything yourself. :bonk:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1