Sign in to follow this  

125 vs 250 lap times

I beat my friend every lap by a few seconds when he is on his 125 and he makes a point to bring up that I am on a 250 2 stroke which I agree gives me an advantage at times but can also be just as much of a disadvantage. my bike is a 2001 and his is a 2005 with upgraded suspension. We both weight 155 lbs, his bike weighs less than 200 lbs, and mine weighs 230. I want to know if anyone has a 125 and a 250 and has ridden them back to back on a track before and how did your lap times differ? The track does not have any big hill climbs and the jumps have plenty of run up and intermediate dirt. the turns are pretty much all sweepers but Nobody really gets out of 4th ever

I only pass him in the whoops and going into and through turns (not exiting them and not on straight shots). He says I win because of my bike, but he refuses to ride my bike or let me ride his. He also says if he had my bike he would "kick my &%$#@!king ass". Is he right or just a sore loser?

Im faster on my 250 than my 125 when ridden back to back by well over a second or two depending on the track. The 125 has less power down low, which hurts it out of corners, in whoops, and in uphill sections. You should be faster. If your not then something is wrong. A mistake on a 125 is far more prone to hurt you then a mistake on a 250. Once the revs drop your screwed until you can get them built back up

Im faster on my 250 than my 125 when ridden back to back by well over a second or two depending on the track. The 125 has less power down low, which hurts it out of corners, in whoops, and in uphill sections. You should be faster. If your not then something is wrong. A mistake on a 125 is far more prone to hurt you then a mistake on a 250. Once the revs drop your screwed until you can get them built back up

Yeah, but that was 7 months after i ever even started riding dirtbikes. He has been racing for 6 years (no exagerations) and he has his own track in his yard. he also has 3 cousins and a brother to ride with lol. I also beat him when he is on his 250f at his own track which I should have mentioned sooner.

Also, what year is your 250 and 125? it seems like you know a lot about dirtbikes so im trying to learn from you lol.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

all of my bikes are in my signature under my comments. I have 3 250's, a 96', an 03', and an 08' a 00' 125 and a 03' 450f. love them all...

i see that! quite a nice fleet you've got, but I was wondering if it was the 08 yz you were faster on or the 96 (compared to the 125. Also, is the 08 significantly better than the 03 or 96?

Both... the 96 and 08 turn similar lap times. Just have to be ridden differently. The 96 has to be ridden more like a 125 because it has no bottom end, high RPM's and a lot of clutch work and it will move, the 08 has a strong smooth motor so I can flog it a little more... ride a little smoother if that makes sense.

You sound like you're 15. Who seriously gives a shit? What did you come on here to accomplish? Do you want us to acknowledge you're faster than your friend? Neither of you are going pro so who really gives a shit? Please take your nonsense to high school lunch time.

• Like 1

You sound like you're 15. Who seriously gives a shit? What did you come on here to accomplish? Do you want us to acknowledge you're faster than your friend? Neither of you are going pro so who really gives a shit? Please take your nonsense to high school lunch time.

There is an arrow on the top lefthand corner of your window like this "<--" You could have taken your "who gives a shit" attitude and clicked on it, but I forgive you for your emotionally charged comment. Yes I am 16 and in highschool so that is not taken as an offense. I came here to learn more about the benefits of a certain bike over the other, and lunch time is not nearly as an oppropriate place for discussion concerning motocross as a dirtbike forum would be. You obviously are bitter about highschool for some reason. I will admit that I over-emphasized the fact that I turn faster lap times and I am terribly sorry so ill do anything to make it up to you. I also admit that I am a little too proud of myself and a little too obsessed with motocross and I need to keep working on fixing that.

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 1

What is this all about? OP dont sweat it, there are some grumpy people on this site. Pick and chose your battles. Id erase the 3rd to last sentence of your post. Not worth getting in trouble by the mods over a stupid comment.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

Both... the 96 and 08 turn similar lap times. Just have to be ridden differently. The 96 has to be ridden more like a 125 because it has no bottom end, high RPM's and a lot of clutch work and it will move, the 08 has a strong smooth motor so I can flog it a little more... ride a little smoother if that makes sense.

That is some usefull information right there. I have always wondered if upgrading from my 2001 would be worth it but it doesn't seem worth the work it takes for me to get a new bike

Your 01 has the same motor as the newer bike... Id invest some money into the suspension and maybe some port work then ride the piss outta that thing.

Your 01 has the same motor as the newer bike... Id invest some money into the suspension and maybe some port work then ride the piss outta that thing.

Sweet! I think I might do just that especially with college approaching I can't get a new bike.

ive recently gone down to a 1997 rm125 from a 2005 cr250 im not as fast on the 125 and the way in which you ride both is quite different i would spent a bit of money on ur bike and ride the hell out of it.

Hey ordie IF i was you i would swap the 250 for a 125. You are still young and obviously serius about getting better, the 125 might really help you.

Pro riders lap times are actually pretty similar between a 125 and a 250. Bottom line your friend is not using the 125 to its full potential. Its easier to go faster on a 250 but it if you are good with the clutch and can pick good lines that flow at 125 can fly. Its really all about the rider there's probably more than a few 12 year olds on 80cc bike that would smoke me around the track.

• Like 1

Do us a favor, go outside and choke yourself. Thank you.

• Like 2

Hey ordie IF i was you i would swap the 250 for a 125. You are still young and obviously serius about getting better, the 125 might really help you.

I have thought about either getting a 125 for learning clutch control and carrying more speed, or an old kx500 to learn traction control on and make my 250 feel more managable

I only pass him in the whoops and going into and through turns (not exiting them and not on straight shots). He says I win because of my bike, but he refuses to ride my bike or let me ride his. He also says if he had my bike he would "kick my &%$#@!king ass". Is he right or just a sore loser?

by the sounds of it you may just be a bit of a better rider in some places like the turns where it really counts and so on.

by the sounds of it you may just be a bit of a better rider in some places like the turns where it really counts and so on.

Thats what I was thinking. especially since he takes the fast line I am forced to take whatever rut is leftover