Sign in to follow this  

2 Masterlinks?

I cut a chain too short. So I was wondering if it is safe to use two masterlinks? I have the links I cut off, so I thought I would just join them all together.

They used 2 on my pitbike cuz I have a huge rear sprocket,that being said if I was a heavy duty rider I'd get a breaker and a press.I dont use master links on my BMX cruisers cuz I broke many chains as a kid and it sux flying crotch first into the stem,knees to the bars and shins into the bear traps!

They used 2 on my pitbike cuz I have a huge rear sprocket,that being said if I was a heavy duty rider I'd get a breaker and a press.I dont use master links on my BMX cruisers cuz I broke many chains as a kid and it sux flying crotch first into the stem,knees to the bars and shins into the bear traps!

hell yeah it does, ive snapped chains without masterlinks before, ive gone over the bars on my bicycle countless times due to chains snapping, skipping, or just straight up falling off. 2 masterlinks is an extra weak point its doable but i wouldnt recommend it if you ride hard

A properly installed masterlink is just as strong as a riveted masterlink.

I have had two master links on my current chain for a year and a half, it is now time for a new chain but I never had any problems.

I ran three master links on my old 144 for a while with no problems. Somehow I managed to break it too short not just once, but twice. I don't know what was going on that night.

Edited by Ih8Hondas

I was working late, and forgot to lower it off the stand when measuring the chain, that is how I cut mine short....I know bonehead move :bonk::lol: :lol:

You can run two with no issues.

Well, there always is the issue of your friend's making fun of you when they see the extra masterlink!

• Like 1

Well, there always is the issue of your friend's making fun of you when they see the extra masterlink!

How is anyone going to know unless you tell them? Most people don’t go around inspecting everyone’s chain, hoping to find two master links. Or do they?

How is anyone going to know unless you tell them? Most people don’t go around inspecting everyone’s chain, hoping to find two master links. Or do they?

Yeah, some do stick out more than others, like a black masterlink on a gold chain. Could just be me, but things like this jump out at me when looking at a bike. A few weeks ago I glanced over at the guy next to me and noticed he was missing a lower subframe bolt. "Oh thanks, that's what that clanking noise was!".

I don't use a master link at all.I just order my chain a couple links long and press a regular link back together.It's easy if you have a press.The press I have was under $20.Its hard to do oring chain without one.

Haha.... TRUE!!! OP can flip the other link to mask the double link... How would I know? Oops..

Another option is, if one of your friends is in need of a new chain and your's will fit on his bike, give him your short one and get him to buy you a new one. It will save him cutting one down.