Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces

I am looking for a knee brace in the $500 range. The two that are sticking out to me are the Pod K300 and EVS RS8 Pro. Has anyone worn either of these? What are your opinions on them? I am looking for both protection and comfort. How about the cheaper EVS RS8? I would like it to be no more than $500 and prefer it to be available from Rocky Mountain since I have cash rewards there. Thank you for any help.

I am on my second pair of Asterisk Cells, I think the fit great and work well. Like anything that's off the shelf it takes a little time making fine tune adjustments, but once you got the perfet fit you never worry about it.

I know the RS8 are good. Not as stiff as the new pro version. I think it was Mike Alessi that stated the RS8 where one of the most comfy pair of knee braces he had. The cells are sweet also. If i could re do it i take a pair of cells personal!

i run the thor force knee gaurds, ive had 2 knee surgeries from a machete accident when i was 16 (cut my patella tendon clean through) i crash hard and frequently and havent had any knee problems with this product

i busted my knees up a couple of times before i had braces and then i decided to get some. i got the thor forces aswell and i havent hurt my knee since then and ive had alot worse crashes. they have already payed for themselves as the price tag is very low !

• Like 1

i have the pod k300, love them, very comfortable, light, and slim. i didn't like the feel of the rs8 i tried on at the dealer, felt bulkier than the pods

the Thor Force guards are not braces and will not help with ACL and MCL Tears!

reed had braces on and tore his leg up, thor guards wont break your femur

i like my Asterisks they are extremely comfortable! a little bulky but once you get used to them you forget they are on. they are nice to walk in too.

If Reed had not been wearing braces, I would've hated to see how twisted up his knee would be, that boot was hooked on and he was going for the ride. If he wasn't wearing braces, it would've definitely have been worse.

As stated, Thor guards don't protect against ACL, MCL injuries, which can happen in an instant and be as easy as dabbing your foot weird in a corner. Now these are much more common incidents than a crash where your femur would break. Regardless of whether the brace makes your leg more "rigid" or not and creates pressure on your femur. A crash where this happens, is going to result in injuries regardless of what you are wearing for protection.

Lawyered.

Now to the OP, I personally wear POD k700s, they are awesome, I have crashed pretty bad on them and they still are mint, and definatley saved me from a wrecked knee a couple times. I wore the Thor Force guards prior to these. They do work well as a guard from rocks/roost etc. They were not comfortable for me after a few rides, and I could not get them to stay tight enough to my legs to grip the bike well. They would pull off my knees weird when I was trying to grip hard with my knees. Not comforting, I personally thought they were garbage, but you get what you pay for soo... I am very glad I picked up some actual knee braces. I don't ride without them now. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Do you have any clue as to what you are talking about? The thor guards are not knee braces, not even in the same ball park as a knee brace.

In a crash where a knee brace may have contributed to a leg break, it would have totally effed up a knee without a brace, and I am talking about not just an ACL but the MCL, PCL and LCL too.

So unless you have gone through the pain and trauma of knee surgery, I have had both left and right ACLs replaced and currently have a torn MCL, you will never understand the need for knee braces.

• Like 2

Do you have any clue as to what you are talking about? The thor guards are not knee braces, not even in the same ball park as a knee brace.

In a crash where a knee brace may have contributed to a leg break, it would have totally effed up a knee without a brace, and I am talking about not just an ACL but the MCL, PCL and LCL too.

So unless you have gone through the pain and trauma of knee surgery, I have had both left and right ACLs replaced and currently have a torn MCL, you will never understand the need for knee braces.

i have had multiple knee surgeries and rehabilitations i wouldnt be putting my two cents in if i didnt know anything about it, read the whole thread

I got the RS8 Braces. I cant even tell Im wearing them. I think I got them for 300 each but got a discount because I bought everything from the bike shop. Expensive shit. I think I spent around 1300 for everything not including the helmet.

both knee braces, elbow pads, Evs chest plate, Evs neck brace, Boots, Gloves, Googles, jersey, Pants. I tested out the chest plate once already. I gave the biek some gas thinking I was gonna hop over a root. It just did a cat walk off the trail. I went over the bars and my stomach hit a small sized tree stump. It felt like it missed the chest plate but It hit it and I got back up 10 seconds later and rode off like nothing happened. Thats when I broke my cherry.

Edited by Christopher McClelland

im just trying to give my opinion thats why we're all on here, a lot of people get braces that dont really need them but go ahead and get them because they recently started to look cool. What doesnt look cool is wearing holes through your riding pants and gouging up the side of your bike, sure wont make you faster hard to grip a bike with robot legs. I had a negative experience with them if you cant tell lol

Dont listen to the idiot thats all about looking cool. This is about not destroying every muscle in you knee or getting killed if somthing goes wrong. I never road a super cool dirst bike until this fall when I put down a 2400 for a 2003 yz450. I figured If im gonna do some jumps and use alll this power Im gonna need to get the gear so I am at least a bit safer then I otherwise would be.

My riding pants have leather on the knees and, the knee braces slide very nicely. I cant even notice them. From my experience your knees dont grip the bike. Your supposed to have your knees against the bike at the tank thats were you need to be when your hitting the jumps.

Dont listen to the idiot thats all about looking cool. This is about not destroying every muscle in you knee or getting killed if somthing goes wrong. I never road a super cool dirst bike until this fall when I put down a 2400 for a 2003 yz450. I figured If im gonna do some jumps and use alll this power Im gonna need to get the gear so I am at least a bit safer then I otherwise would be.

My riding pants have leather on the knees and, the knee braces slide very nicely. I cant even notice them. From my experience your knees dont grip the bike. Your supposed to have your knees against the bike at the tank thats were you need to be when your hitting the jumps.

read it again, pick up on the sarcasm, i am anti trying to look cool, thanks

Didn't realize that investing $500 to potentially prevent tens of thousands of dollars in surgery and recovery was considered trying to be "cool". I am really leaning towards the k300's. I have been trying to read as much as I can on the braces and I feel the asterisk may be a tad over priced. Seems the Pod's are $100 less and provide the same protection/comfort.

I personally have never ridden in knee braces, but since i have had 6 surgery's on my knee i have decided its time to. I just ordered some evs webs, ill report back on what i think of them post 1st ride.