1999 Yz250

Were there any big differences between the 99 yz250 and the newer ones? What were they?

Off the top of my head.

01 has an aluminum subframe.

05 has an aluminum frame and sub.

06 has the new shocks.

I believe I have the right years. Don't qoute me on this one, but I think the motor was switched in '00 and has been the same since.

Are you considering a yz?

These things are so modular, I'd probably buy anything I could get a good deal on from '96 on up.

99 was a great year. Anything 99+ is an excellent bike.

05 got an aluminum frame......not a big deal the steel frames are great.

06 got the really good SSS front forks......supposed to be the best stock fork out there.

There were other small refinements each year but nothing major and nothing you will feel when riding.

Did 04/05 have a different fork than 99-03? Or was that just on the 4 strokes?

Got it in the bag there.. 99 motors are pretty much the same to the current model

03+ YZ 250's have different crank/Flywheel part numbers to the 99 to 01 and 02.. This is the only major difference in engines ranging from 99 to current.

Only thing different is the flywheel, different part numbers.

The 01 is like a cup shape, where the 03+ have a flat dish on the outside. Which apparently was an upgrade for reliability.

I know the old 00-01 yz250 had brutal SX style bottom to mid punch. I rode one when they were new, it was awesome. Where as 02+ are much more broader.

96-04 steel frames (96-99 had steel subframes, 00-04 had Alloy subframes)

05+ Alloy frames

Forks

46mm KYB Open Chambers from 96-03

48mm KYB Open Chamber in 04 (Wr 250f/450f ran these till 2011)

48mm KYB SSS Twin Chambers in 06+

Shock was upgraded with High/Low Speed Compression Adjustment from 2000 onwards.

Some swing arm and linkage refinements along the way somewhere too.

Edited by Street_Kleaver

im looking into another 250 2 stroke so theres a 99 yz, two 04 yz's, an 03 cr, and an 01 cr. Im trying to either get the 03 cr or one of the 04 yz's.

How much are you trying to spend? I scored a mint 20 hr 06 for $2,600 with some extra stuff included.

I'm really only trying to spend about 1500 or 1600. The 99 is 1100, I can probably get it for less. The 04's are 1800, and the 03 Cr is 1600, and the 01 Cr is 1650.

I have a 2001 and I love it. I think it is mostly the same as the 99. The 2002 has more of a flat seat on it so its a tad easier to move around, but after that the only frame change was the switch to aluminium (whoopdee doo). The 99 engine is pretty much the same as the 2012 one except for maybe some slight porting changes that don't justify spensing and extra $5k on a brand new bike. I would get suspension upgrades and maybe upgrade the looks of the bike with newer year plastics (thats what i did) and just roll with the stock pipe and wheels