Sign in to follow this  

06 yz250f racing question!

hey guys i just have a quick question. my 06 yz250f has a 52 tooth rear sprocket and 14 tooth front sprocket, im pretty sure those are stock, (tell me if im wrong please lol) Well my question is why do i get to fifth gear pinned so fast and feel like i need more? I have powerbomb header fmf 4.1 exhuast and stock engine. MY brothers bike 06 crf250r has same sprocket set up and his bike pulls so much longer. Ill get pinned in 5th gear before hes in 4th. I like this because in races im fast through short rhythm sections and through corners but im also in mid pack on the hole shot. I start in 2nd gear and hit 3rd by the time im to the corner i'm pinned in 3rd but most other guys pull ahead in 3rd gear. How can i get more top end without losing my bottom end. because i love how she pulls so hard in the low end but i really dont think i should be shifting into 4th gear on my hole shots!! Any advice would be great. Is there a way to do this without buying new sprockets lol just spent 300 on chain and sprockets. :bonk:

The 06 had a 13T front and 48T rear sproket stock. Someone else will have to help with your other questions as I have no clue.

You seem focused on gearing, but the gearing that you went to, 14/52 is actually pretty close to stock when you do the math. 14/50 is getting away from it a bit. Remember, standard gearing uses a 13t front sprocket. Do you have any other issues?? What condition is your clutch in?

my clutch is good, it shifts great. i mostly speed shift actually cuz i race motocross. There are no other issues with the bike, mechanically it is great.

That isnt what I meant. If you think the bike is down on power, the clutch could be slipping, even slightly. The bike will do exactly what you describe, and be down on power and lack drive. If you are seriously wide open in 5th gear before other guys are clicking 4th, with the gearing that you are using, it sounds a lot like you have clutch that is slipping. The 06's were prone to standard clutch springs going out of spec causing clutch slippage.

Yes, the clutch springs would be a start, but you would need to inspect and measure everything inside the clutch to ensure that everything is within spec. I like to run pro circuit clutch springs, much better option and much better quality.

cool thanks for the tip! i wasnt even thinking about a slipping clutch that slipped my mind lol. what else could cause a clutch to slip?

Worn/glazed plates, worn/notched basket, out of tension springs as already spoken about, bad/incorrect oil, there are quite a few things that can cause clutch slippage, just need to check it out. It is usually pretty easy to tell if the clutch is slipping, the revs dont match the drive that you are getting. If it has been doing it the whole time you have owned the bike, you may not pick up on it, but it usually does get progressively worse over time.

i have owned the bike for a while but noticed it at end of last mx season i thought i was getting used to the power, but it maybe the clutch slipping ill definetly have to check it out thanks for the tip. Does taking the clutch out and putting it back in take alot of mechanical skill? or is it simple and straight forward? never done one before.

Hey 08 rider, I would say that removing and re-installing a clutch is easy, even for those with minimal mechanical experience. Knowing what you are looking at once it is apart is another story. If you can get some assistance then I would recommend it. It could be easy to miss something that is worn and needs replacing otherwise.

Hey 08 rider, I would say that removing and re-installing a clutch is easy, even for those with minimal mechanical experience. Knowing what you are looking at once it is apart is another story. If you can get some assistance then I would recommend it. It could be easy to miss something that is worn and needs replacing otherwise.

Alright ill see if i can get friend whose done one before to help me out. Thanks!