Sign in to follow this  

520 conversion

who switched to 520 and how do you like it? i am worried that the chain will break. i really want to gear way down on my dirt setup and i see there is a 52 tooth rear in the 520. i have to get new chain and sprockets one day and am thinking about only having 520. i want 14 15 16 fronts and. 42 and 52 rear. i have 2 sets of wheels

I just switched but only have 40 miles on so I cant really say what I think of it. I ordered the 525 but the 520 was shipped to me so I put it on (was only charged for the 520). Anyway do a search on 520 in the dr only section and you find sveral discusions on the topic.

Regarding the fact, that bikes like a KTM 530, Husaberg 570 and so on ALL have 520-chains stock there really should be no problem with chain-size. I´d just recommend not to take the cheapest chain for a thumper of noticeable torque ...

A 520 chain and sprockets are plenty strong for a big thumper but they will wear faster than a 525 set-up. Remember you can't run a 520 chain on 525 sprockets... the pitch is the same but the 525 sprockets are wider. IMO if you don't need a 520 set-up for a particular gearing need it's better to stick with the 525 set-up for longevity. And as el captain said don't buy any cheap junk chains regardless of price... you'll pay for it many times over in the end.

Some of you might not know what the number mean? The numbers refer to eights of an inch.

The first 5 refers to 5/8th of an inch, center to center between the pins.

The next 2 numbers refer to 2 X 1/8th of an inch width of the roller. The 525 is 2 X 5/8th of an inch in width or 2/8th plus .5 X 1/8th or 5/16 in width total of the two. The 520 refers to 5/8th of an inch center to center of the rollers and 2.0X 1/8th of an inch in width or 2/8th or 1/4 inch.

A 525 chain can be run on a 520 sprocket but it wears quicker

Strength should be the side plates not the width.