Sign in to follow this  

07klx300r won't run

Hi there, just recently purchased an 07 KLX300R in excellent condition. The bike quits running once the choke is off. Feathering the throttle doesn't help either, once I give it a little gas it shuts down instantly. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Dan,

You more than likely have varnished jet(s). When it runs rich, you are OK, the moment you introduce more air into the carb by taking off the choke, the motor is starving for fuel, due to either being totally plugged, or partially plugged in the pilot jet, or main jet as well.

Turn the fuel petcock to the off position and drain the float bowl of the excess fuel. Loosen up the carburetor on the air intake boot and the intake manifold, tilt it sideways and remove the bottom of the carburetor.

Remove the pilot jet and the main jet, check them with light to see if any light is getting through, or natual sun light. If no light is getting through, then, one, if not both are varnished.

If you want to go the cheap way, you can run some small gauge wire through them, be careful not to damage the jet(s), be very surgical careful, however the best way is to put them in carburetor cleaner overnight, or at least for several hours, depending on the potency of the carburetor cleaner.

Good Luck !!!

Michael C

Hey Dan,

Also realized, let's eliminate the obvious, which would be to make sure your air/fuel screw settings are good, as well. In my KLX 300 supplimentary manual, it should be 2.5 turns out. Speculating the stock 34mm CV carburetor. I am not familiar with the newer CV's, so there might be a plug that prohibits direct access without drilling, or prying off the plug.

Michael C

If it is in excellent conditon, did it run well when you purchased it??

It sounds like it idles with the choke off but you can't apply any throttle, is that correct? If yes, the carb slide may not be moving up and down.

Ride on

Brewster

I always like to look at the easiest part of the system first and then move to the more difficult fixes if that does not work. Pulling the tank off exposing the vacuum part of the carb would be a good first start. There are some little parts in the slide that have to be reassembled correctly or you could compound your problem. If that does not correct the problem I would remove the float bowl. Looking at it should give you an indication of varnishing issues. The pilot and main jet are accessable from here as pointed out by KTM520EXC. Make sure the floats are free and not binding. Hopefully you will see something that indicates the problem and you fix it. If not then the carb comes off (not fun but doable). Disassemble as far as you can and spray carb cleaner in the orifices and check for flow. Reassemble and make sure the float level is set correctly. Put back on bike. Based on your experience it seems like your problem is fuel related so this should take care of the problem. Put the bike back together and go ride.