Sign in to follow this  

leaking rear tire

I was wondering if any of you guys ever had any luck taking the rear tire off and cleaning up the rim and rubber strap to get it to seal? I never had a leak in my tire since I got it. It has sat for a couple of months and deflated. I pumped it up to roll it around on the floor to get to my work area. Messing around with it the next day I had seen that it went flat. Later that day my wife was rinsing off the truck. i got her to spray off my bike too. I pumped up my tire's to move it around. While on the stand getting rinsed, I sprayed some soap on the rims and tire to scrub them up. I seen a lot of bubbles coming from the spoke nipple holes? I'm guessing that the strap is not doing its job? Has anybody just taken the wheel apart and cleaned it and have it hold air, or should I just get a new strap? thanks.

You could give it a try... If that doesn't work you could also try a tubliss system. It would add some weight, but I think the GG eco models ship with them.

Thats a good woman that'll wash your bike for you.

You didn't say how old your bike is. If it's more than five years old you probably need a new strap, but you may find corrosion on the rim that may complicate things considerably.

Those straps are expensive by the way.

Edited by moto vita

Most importantly you should be checking your spokes for correct torque as part of regular maintenance, seems most people ignore this after the bike is a few years old!

thanks for the ideas, I'm going to get a new rim band to have on stand by when I take it apart and check it out. ymirtials thats a nice thought but has nothing to do with what I asked. My spokes are tight, I have built over 50 sets of wheels and know how to keep them up. I asked about the rim band leaking. The only mention of spokes was that I seen air coming out of them when I washed it. What does tightening the spokes have to do with what I asked? don't get me wrong I thank you for trying to help but what does that have to do with a leaking rim band?

Glad to hear you keep a good eye on the spokes! Seems some riders idea of maintenance does not include much other than adding fuel and checking the air filter periodically... I mentioned the spokes because I have seen someone suffer from a slow leaking problem that turned out to be cured by nothing more than properly tightening all the spokes! I was just adding something I felt may apply to rear leaky rear tire issues..... Hope the new band sorts it out for you!

Any loose spoke nipples will allow more dirt and grit to get down there on top of the rubber band and compromise the seal eventually. Corrosion is a big problem or at least it was on my 04 Gas Gas. In a wet climate, with water under the rubber seal, there is a chance of galvanic corrosion setting in. That will also loosen the spokes and allow more water and grit in.

The seal is often difficult to get tucked back into it's machined lip in the rim and if it's one of the older ones, the valve stem is a separate item that also has a washer that can leak. the newer ones are one piece with the valve stem built-in. Here is a photo of my 07 Raga rim and spoke nipples under the seal.. not bad but you can see a little corrosion trying to start:and note the grit in there.

tubeless-rim2.jpg

And then a bad example from my 04 Gas Gas:

tubeless-rim-bad1.jpg

and then even after cleaning it up, there is residual damage... I replaced this wheel as the spokes were seized in the nipples:

tubeless-rim-bad2.jpg

Edited by 2PLY

Well, the first photo doesn't seem to want to show and I know that TT now has a 2 video limit per post so maybe it has a 2 photo limit... so her eis the first photo again showing the OK wheel with the grit and the start of the corrosion.. This was from my 07 Raga, so I trashed the 04 wheel, put the Raga wheel on the 04 and bought a new D.I.D. complete wheel for the Raga... $$$$ OUCH!! $$$$

tubeless-rim2.jpg

EDIT... More trouble with that photo as TT is chopping off the first part of the URL.. I can see it's trying to add one of those little blue pop-ups on the word "maintenance" found in the URL name... Hmmmm... buggers!!

Edited by 2PLY

Oh yes, and per advice from Lewisport USA, I too added a little slime under the rubber seal. I added too much the first time and I couldn't get the seal to stay tucked under the machined lip. So after replacing the bad seal with a new style one and then messing up that NEW one while trying to get it to seat, I finally succeeded with the second new seal... That's when I decided I wanted a new D.I.D. wheel.. :bonk:

However, the old Raga wheel with the slime has held air without fail for 2 years now.

I went for the Slime and new strip approach recommended by Lewisport as well. My rim had some corrosion like those above but has held air so far no problem. I really had no problem to start, but was doing a tire change so I figured I better do it right. If your rim is crusty as above I would say Slime and new band. If not new band only is prolly good. In either case watch the Jim Snell video. The key seems to be lube, either soapy water or Slime. Also the Slime in my case was a small amount coating the entire band pre install acting at first as lube to get the stubborn band to seat, then as sealant when it dries.

To get the band down it helps to have some type of plastic spoon object. Jim Snell shows a auto body seal tool. I improvised using a pottery tool. You have to really work that band and keep hope alive. It WILL sit down uniformly the entire way around with a slight bump at the valve stem.

MP