New Boy!

Well hardly a boy, more like an old fart really but good to drop in anyway! Just thought I'd say hi and get straight in with a question.........should be picking up an 02 XR650L next weekend and just wondered what the service intervals should be. It will only be used on road and trail but no racing,

cheers

Well hardly a boy, more like an old fart really but good to drop in anyway! Just thought I'd say hi and get straight in with a question.........should be picking up an 02 XR650L next weekend and just wondered what the service intervals should be. It will only be used on road and trail but no racing,

cheers

Hey man...asking when to change the oil will bring you 10k answers,,everyone has their preferance.......

The manual states 2k miles for oil changes,,i found the oil was black as a boot by then.....after installing an oil cooler i could get 2k out of the oil and it was still quite golden looking instead of burnt to crap..

Get a service manual....check your valve adjustments now as you have no idea if it was ever done..

B

Hey man...asking when to change the oil will bring you 10k answers,,everyone has their preferance.......

The manual states 2k miles for oil changes,,i found the oil was black as a boot by then.....after installing an oil cooler i could get 2k out of the oil and it was still quite golden looking instead of burnt to crap..

Get a service manual....check your valve adjustments now as you have no idea if it was ever done..

B

I don't have an oil cooler, but ride 95% street 70-90mph. I change @ 3000mile oil/filter with 1/2 qt add at about 2000miles. Mobil Delvac 15-40 diesel oil with 1/2 qt motorcycle specific synthetic and the oil looks and feels fine at change, but i love my baby. With a little experience, look, smell and feel of oil will let you know alot, esp if you have experienced oil that has been overused and wore out, read>not slippery when rubbed between thump and index.

agree about valve adjustment as mine was out significantly by the time I got around to it at 13 thou. Intakes were loose by .003 and exh were tight by 001. I bought the bike new in 02 and valves were checked after breakin, supposedly. I wouldn't bet on it though. Check it yourself or have a friend do it if you can't. Quite a difference in smoothness, power and fuel efficiency in my case.

Daves mods are mandatory, lower link if under short, get an iridium plug, DPR8 for normal or DPR9 for extended high speed running.

Many thanks for the wise words gents, I'll ceratinly be getting it checked over by the guy who usually does the more complicated stuff for me.........I am unbelievably mechanically challenged.

.......you mentioned Dave's mods, I assume they are on here somewhere?

ta

Cheers mate, I've had a quick scan through and, bearing in mind I'm no mechanic, the bike I'm picking up already has a full FMF system, Uniair air filter and a stage 1 Dynojet kit set up by a professional outfit. In that case, would I still need to do Dave's mods........see I told you I know bugger all about the internals of the combustion engine :bonk:

Edited by Lairyskippy

If its had those bits fitted there is no need for any of Dave's Mods - they are already done ....

As for being an old fart , join the club., I celebrated my 65th last year and have decided on an early birthday present so have just purchased a 2012 XR650L from Rick Case in Florida - it leaves the USA next week and should be with me here in The Gambia in about 6 weeks time dependant on shipping.

I have a 4 year old bike (same model) that has now done 40,000 miles in very harsh conditions but handled them well so thought it time for a change.

I will be doing all the usual mods AFTER i have put a few gentle miles on it to run it in - am "old school engineer" and still believe that the way you treat them in the first few miles pays dividends as the bike gets older.

I hope you have as much fun on yours as I have on mine - and the fun just keeps coming, life couldn't be better.....

Edited by reduceus

• 2 weeks later...

Well the time has almost come, picking up the bike tomorrow morning and knowing my luck it will be pouring down (well it is the north west of England after all!) Already bought a Rally Raid screen and should be ordering a rear and side racks for those weekend/week long trips into Europe.

One thing I've been looking at are skid plates and given the local terrain here (very rocky and bloody difficult to ride) I was wondering if you guys could recommend a particular type/make?

cheers

Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly be buying a skid plate of some kind. Most of the trails where I live are pretty rocky and I'm guessing it would only be a matter of time before I clip a rock or something.

Edited by Lairyskippy