Sign in to follow this  

Mx vs cr trail riding?

Hello,

I have been looking at ether a KX or a cr125 for mainly track but trails also. I chose these two bikes because they are readily available where I am located. I have heard great things about both bikes but I've been told that the lack of a 6 speed tranny on the cr can be a negative in the trails.

Thanks

neither bike has a 6 speed tranny. they will be similar on trail and mx just find whichever you can get a better deal on

Edited by yamazuki20

For trail riding you will not need a 6-speed. The extra gear is nice for roads that connect trails but not truly needed. If you are riding the desert in the western part of the state you could use the 6th gear once in a while but it is pretty rare. Go with the bikes that is in the best condition and you’ll be fine.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

Assuming they are both the last generations the KX will have a better engine for trails but will be much heavier than the CR.

I loved the six speed on my 2004 KX. I think I was running 13/53 sprockets on a bike used primarily for mx and worked fine for the tracks we have around here. Excellent double duty for trails. I basically had two gears for everything. Took off in second no problem. First was awesome for uber tight technical stuff where you needed to pop the front wheel up with no run. Lots of times it wouldn't even need clutch. Just open the throttle and the front came up. I did have it bored out to 144 though so that helped.

Edited by Ih8Hondas

6 Speed??

Edited by GTXR

the six speed is nice because the gearing is closer between each gear. It is not like they added an extra gear onto a 5 speed tranny and didn't close any of the gaps in the gearing at all. The top of 6th on a 6 speed tranny is the same as the top of 5th on a 5 speed. But since 125's have no balls, they closed up some of the gaps in the tranny so you could shift up a gear without losing as many rpms and falling out of the powerband as far.