Sign in to follow this  

1991 YZ Tribute Bike

The '91-'92 series YZ's are my all-time favorite, so I'm turning my 250F into a 1991 YZ250 tribute. Eventually I plan to restore a '91 125, but that will take time. So for now, this will have to do.

Parts are all on order, I'll post updates as they come in.

The inspiration:

1991%2520YZ250.jpg

More inspiration...

1991%2520YZ250%2520McGrath.jpg

The canvas:

PA140002.JPG

Gotta' start with a white plastic kit:

White%2520Plastic%2520Kit.jpg

Magenta OEM replica graphics from yzgraphics.com:

Graphic%2520kit.JPG

Seat from eBay. Going to try dying the sides magenta. If that doesn't work, I'll get a white cover and dye that.

seat.JPG

Added detail. Pink was big in the early-90's:

Bar%2520Pad.jpg

The cherry on top: Actual number plate from my '91 YZ250:

P2250004.JPG

Update: Plastic and seat arrived this week. Sides of the seat are too dark of a grey, so I ordered a cover with pure white sides. That should take the magenta dye a little better.

Here's a pic of the progress so far:

P3020055.JPG

Edited by 38Special

charly: The suspension & handling were typical Yamaha - middle of the road. The 91 & 92 won the MXA 250 shootout.

charly, glad you enjoy the vids.

For a test, I dyed the gray seat cover, not expecting very good results. It took the dye just fine, but is more purple than magenta. In the background is a white t-shirt done with the same dye, looking like about the right shade of magenta. I'm hopeful the white seat cover will take a similar shade.

P3040056.JPG

The white seat cover arrived. Based on the material, it looks like it will turn out a nice shade of magenta, unlike the OEM gray one I tried. Tempting to do it now, but I'm going to wait for the graphics to arrive so I can match the color as close as possible.

So the project will probably be quiet for 1-2 weeks until the graphics arrive and I can finish everything up.

In the meantime I'll be pulling together the requisite clothing to match the bike. I REALLY wish I kept more stuff from the 90's....

One Ind. Seat Cover:

P3050055.JPG

Jersey circa '93. Pants & gloves are from '94 or '95 I think. I'm searching ebay for a different set of pants.

P3050056.JPG

By the way, I will be saving the retro plastic/seat/gear combo for special occasions only. I saved all the OEM blue stuff for normal use.

Edited by 38Special

i love my 92 although its a different color, bought it new, raced it, we both retired, did a crazy resto job on it and raced it a couple times and parked it again, just couldn't stand to see it dirty ! bought a newer yz to beat up and back to racing enduro's again.