Sign in to follow this  

RM 250 clutch issue

I have a 1998 rm 250 engine im working on installing into a go kart, but im running into issues with the clutch. I pulled the alternator cover to get the clutch cable onto the lever, on the left side of the engine. I pulled up on it ans it has little to no resistance and can move around a bit. Is my clutch shot or is it missing a spring somewhere? I put it into gear and pulled up on the clutch lever and tried to move the sprocket, but the sprocket was still in gear and was not dissengaged. any help or ideas on whats wrong? i couldnt really find anthing in the manual.

Thanks

I removed the pressure plate and friction plates. The push rod moves when i move the lever for the clutch cable, but it doesn t really retract on its own, should it? the drive sprocket moves freely now in any gear, as it should without the pressure plate or friction plates right? What should i check for wear on the clutch?

Thanks

Edited by sp543

The clutch springs are what returns everything, and your problem is most likely the actuator arm has wear on it. This is the arm you see inside the flywheel cover, and you need to remove fw and stator to replace it. :bonk:

and when moving the clutch cable lever, the pushrod will still move my finger when i put a good amount of force on it. There are grooves on the clutch basket, and from what i read i can file those down, would the friction plates be catching on those grooves causing it to be continuely engaged?

This arm is soft (15) and the push rod is hardened(13) so most likely the arm has a worn spot in it. I replaced mine on my 96 and it cured clutch creep. A washer will not do you any good because if the arm is worn it wont throw the clutch as far as it needs. You can do a minimum of filing on the basket, but this is only a bandaid or temporary fix for a chattery clutch on engagement.