Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bikers/Dual sporters... Steering Dampers..?

Alright, what exactly do these things do, and why should I consider spending $400 for them? I understand they act sort of like shock absorbers for your hands, but that's what front shocks are for, no? I've been riding since I was five, and have owned 7 bikes thus far and none have had them. What am I missing? Can anyone explain?[/font]

Edited by malignity

You don't see them in mx just on offroad bikes. I run one on my 450 and its great in the rocks and at high speeds. Keeps the bars stable and you can ride longer. I'm 43 and I need all the help I can get. Its just like a steering stabilizer on a 4x4 truck. It absorbs the hits so your not fighting the bars or having the bars jerked out of your hands.

Not exactly for your hands. When your front tire deflects off rocks, bumps ect, it keeps the bars and bike on a straighter line. Think of it as a time machine that goes back 1 second at a time and corrects your mistake.

WIthout endless scientific explanation and physics discussion....its the single most best option you can do after you get a helmet and a bike.

Get the scotts off road version...handsdown

You know that feeling of being worn out at the end of a long ride or race. You can't hang on.. your going throuh rock hardest high speed head shake ragged edge you just can't slow down tho your flirting with the limit of grip with your hands.

Well with a steering dampener it takes about 5x at least longer to get to that point. And I when u do get ther well you have a freekin steering dampner.

It's like being stable as hell.

I use it for mx, woods, dez

I would use it for road race, supermoto, everything.

There is no disadvantage other than weight. And a pokey thing ontop of your bars if u don't go sub mount.

There adjustable. You can turn the low speed down and crank in high speed you won't even know its there untill you hit something that would normally jerk the bars from your hands and it saves you.

My first comment after install, wow you can wipe the snot off your nose in the rocks.

Scotts / ohlins is the only way dont be fooled by others there not the same.

Sub mount is safer.

I guarentee you would love a scotts.

I am looking for one to place on a woods/trail bike. Why Scotts? Would you like a dampening center out, out to center or both? I am looking at two, Scotts and a Motosportz.

Don't get me wrong any dampner helps except a stupid hpsd Honda dampner.

The scotts is adjustable in high speed (slamming rocks and other gotchas)

Low speed (head shake and rocks and gotchas)

sweep (how far off center dampening takes effect from lock to lock or just in the middle and several amounts between.)

Now the dirt model is not dampened on return. Because that would mess with you when your countersteered.

The road model is dampened on return because if your countersterring a road bike well.... Your name better be rossi or hayden.

The various other guys dampeners may have none some or all of the features of an ohlins scotts.

But they aren't the original. I bet there's more scotts in baja than any other dampner. And for a good reason to.

Also come on ohlins....... And its gold bling.

But seriously I wouldn't trade it for anything its downright useful.