Sign in to follow this  

Smart Performance - Do I have enough oil for oil change?

I got a gallon of the 5 weight oil sp3 and I got 2 of the 18 ounce sp5 bottles - I'm sure I got enough to do the forks but is there enough sp5 for the shock? Couldn't find the info I was looking for in my owners manual no spec is listed for Oil level in the shock.

Bike is - 06 YZ 250 - Smoker!

I thought the sp5 was only for the outer chamber, sp3 in shocks

you got that backwards the sp3 is the 5 wt oil for the outter chambers and the sp5 7wt oil for the inner chambers I need 6.9 ounces which is like close to one of the 18 ounce sp5 bottles I have. I thought thats what I put in the shock last time was the sp5 oil and I thought it took more then one bottle?

you got that backwards the sp3 is the 5 wt oil for the outter chambers and the sp5 7wt oil for the inner chambers I need 6.9 ounces which is like close to one of the 18 ounce sp5 bottles I have. I thought thats what I put in the shock last time was the sp5 oil and I thought it took more then one bottle?

Best of luck to you, but Mog is right.. 5w in the closed chamber and 7w for spring chamber. If you mix up the two, i suspect you're in for a jackhammer ride my friend ;-)

I talked to Dave the other day and he changed the formula on the oils, the new oil does not work with the old. If you are short of the old type let me know i have a couple of half gallon jugs and a few of the smaller bottles on the shelf in the shop.

Jake

It's the older stuff I think I've had it now for over a year or so I need more 7 wt oil then sounds like I got it backwards and I have enough 5wt for the shock and inner chambers - it's been a good while since I did this last if you can't tell.

Best of luck to you, but Mog is right.. 5w in the closed chamber and 7w for spring chamber. If you mix up the two, i suspect you're in for a jackhammer ride my friend ;-)

All true. SPI #3 in the inner/upper fork chamber and the shock, SPI #5 for the outer/lower fork chamber only.

All true. SPI #3 in the inner/upper fork chamber and the shock, SPI #5 for the outer/lower fork chamber only.

This is correct!