Sign in to follow this  

RimLock , when to tighten

OK, please do not laugh . My sons been on flattrack bikes since he was 5 1/2 ,, and we do not run rimlocks....

Now hes not racing , and now we have this strange looking jacked up knobbie tired machine.

Propper time to tighten the rimlocks ,, no air , some air , or fully inflated tire ?

For general riding what front and rear psi to run ?

Bike is a 03 red 450r.

Thanks

Edited by 24hrsparkey

Fully inflated tire, and do not over tighten. Just snug it up... it can dent your rim. The only reason the rim lock is there is to keep the tire from slipping in the rim.

I run 12-13 PSI in my tires for MX riding depending on the conditions... everyone I know has a different preference though. Some guys that ride alot of rocks like lower pressures, and I know alot of MX guys that like more pressure.

Edited by BDubb106

When I change my tire i will first pump it up with around 40psi to seal the bead then deflate the tire to the desired psi(usually 13psi for front and 12psi on rear) and then snug up the rimlock.

Thanks ! Yep im def familliar with some lube and a good bit of PSI to propperly bead up the tire ,, with the same reveal all way around. Then let it down to 12psi , snug the rim lock , good to go yes ?

I had a 12mm wrench that was bent so I cut it in half so I can over torque it.

My procedure is to SOAK the bead with windex, inflate to 40 PSI, allow to sit long enough for the windex to dry, deflate to desired PSI and snug up the rim lock. Then your ready to remount the tire and rip on it.

Thanks ! Yep im def familliar with some lube and a good bit of PSI to propperly bead up the tire ,, with the same reveal all way around. Then let it down to 12psi , snug the rim lock , good to go yes ?

Correct

I always inflate the tire to seat the bead, then let the air out until I'm down under 5psi, tighten the rim lock, then inflate to the desired psi (normally 12-13psi for me). I've seen tubes get punched from tightening the rim lock with too much air in the tube. If you blow up the tube to high pressure with the rim lock loose the tube can wrap around the rim lock, tightening it then can pinch the tube. It's rare, but it can happen, so that's why I never tighen the rim lock with a lot of air in the tube.