Leaning toward D606's.

Going on a 08 SM with dirt whees 18/21. I want the best traction offroad, but a tire that won't wear out before I get to the trail if I spend 20 miles on pavement. I'm leaning toward the dunlop 606's, but I want to make sure the 90/90-21 will work ok, and 120 or the 130 for the rear? I am open to suggestions, but 606's are priced very well.

The 606 offer long life and good grip..On road is ok if you run higher pressures.(25/28psi)

I have used a couple of sets and was very happy with their overall performance..

I went with the 120/90/18...

Both get pretty good reviews, Thanks for the info.

I have the 130 rear on my 400E, the 130 is toooo big...but will be nice when worn down some, I'm getting the 606 again, great tire but I'll go with a 120.

I have a 130 606 also, and I'll probably go with a 120 next time too. There are no rubbing issues at all, but it is a bit on the big side.

130:

6248496490_64cf5c116c_b-1.jpg

Anyone run a 606 rear and Pirelli Xcmh front, seems to be a good combo if you don't mind non matching tires?

That's exactly what I run. With this combo I usually use 2 rears to 1 front and get around 750-900 miles out of each rear. I don't wait until the tread is gone before replacing them, I swap when the traction is noticeably reduced. I ride it hard and fast, spinning it up (offroad) whenever I can to keep the grin factor going. I ride anything from fire roads to single track and pavement to get there. Probably 80 dirt/20 street.

Front: The XCMH is better for the dirt than the 606. I've tried the Pirelli Scorpion Pro front but wasn't that impressed. It couldn't stand up to any considerable pavement time.

Rear: The XCMH is also better for the dirt than the 606 but I compromise and use the 606 for the extra mileage. Some people like the Trakmaster II. I thought it was good in the dirt but chunked and was a little squirmy when pushed hard on the asphalt. I may tried the Maxxis Desert IT next just for the heck of it. The 606 isn't the best when riding on muddy trails or single track covered in wet leaves. I did that all day yesterday and it was a challenge but it sure was fun.

That's exactly what I run. With this combo I usually use 2 rears to 1 front and get around 750-900 miles out of each rear. I don't wait until the tread is gone before replacing them, I swap when the traction is noticeably reduced. I ride it hard and fast, spinning it up (offroad) whenever I can to keep the grin factor going. I ride anything from fire roads to single track and pavement to get there. Probably 80 dirt/20 street.

Front: The XCMH is better for the dirt than the 606. I've tried the Pirelli Scorpion Pro front but wasn't that impressed. It couldn't stand up to any considerable pavement time.

Rear: The XCMH is also better for the dirt than the 606 but I compromise and use the 606 for the extra mileage. Some people like the Trakmaster II. I thought it was good in the dirt but chunked and was a little squirmy when pushed hard on the asphalt. I may tried the Maxxis Desert IT next just for the heck of it. The 606 isn't the best when riding on muddy trails or single track covered in wet leaves. I did that all day yesterday and it was a challenge but it sure was fun.

How many more miles did you get out of the rear 606 vs the XCMH? I can handle a little less miles for little better grip. Thanks for the info.

Anyone run a 606 rear and Pirelli Xcmh front, seems to be a good combo if you don't mind non matching tires?

i used to. but i've switched the back to a trak master II as it has been muddy as heck around here and the 606 sucks in mud. it is a great all-around tire, but it's weak point is mud...and it is terrible there.

in my experience, the 606 rear will have lost its edge and start to not perform as well in dirt after about 500 miles...but it will still work OK on hard-packed dry trails and fine on the road for another 1,000 miles after that. the TMII is a way better dirt tire, but not as good on the road and wears faster.

the front XCMH is like some kind of miracle tire compared to the 606 front. it is way, way, way better in dirt, not too much worse on the road, and lasts twice as long (which surprised the heck out of me when i first switched).

The 606 offer long life and good grip..On road is ok if you run higher pressures.(25/28psi)

I put TONS of miles on/off road on my rear 606(s)

I think MT21s are better on the front. Seem to last a little longer and hook just as good as a 606.

I'm a big beliver that the tire will last longer if you air it up for road sections.

I carry bicycle hand pump and me and the buds pass it around everytime we do a road section.

If it's just a 2-3 mile road section we don't worry about it but anything thats gunna be long we bump them up to 30 or so.

Carry a guage and just bleed them off to 18 or whatever for offroad.

Probably try a MT21 in the rear next time