Sign in to follow this  

Getting the most out of the XRL

Hey guys, I'm just running a checklist of modifications to get the most out of the XR650L. It's well known that completely stock the bike is on the weak side, and I think that it would be a good idea to have a post (possibly stickied) on all of the standard, and even some of the not-so-standard modifications to awaken the Big Red Pig into the beast that it is. Please feel free to add more modifications that I have not listed, and if possible, directions on how to do said mod, and approximate price.

1.) Smog removal and (optional) Oil Seperator Removal:

Price: ~$35

Instructions:

http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/

2.) Dave's Carb Mod

Price: Few bucks, time and effort.

Instructions:

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

3.) Aftermarket Muffler installation (instructions typically come with the muffler.)

Price: $200-$400

4.) Regearing to lower teeth sprockets for off-road usage: 13T/45T, 14T/48T, etc.

Price: $50-$100.

Please share others so that those coming into the forum that want to awaken their BRP can do so without having to hunt all over the internets to do so. :bonk:

Edited by malignity

Please stop spreading the misinformation that the oil separator needs to be removed. It serves a purpose and does not hinder performance. I wish the asshat who owned my bike previously had not removed the one from bike.

Please stop spreading the misinformation that the oil separator needs to be removed. It serves a purpose and does not hinder performance. I wish the asshat who owned my bike previously had not removed the one from bike.

+1........ i`ve been fighting that oil sep removal for years,,,at least 2 engines could have been spared if that thread would go away..best to leave that alone in my opinion......performance mods are fine..but removing that does nothing except make the idle screw access easier.....

B

I edited the original post to clarify that it's optional. All I'm doing is trying to compile a list of modifications to wake up the beast that likes in the XRL. Personally, the BRP I'm about to pick up has had the smog removal done. I don't know if the oil separation has been done or not yet because I haven't gotten a chance to physically take a look at it.

Are there any other mods that anyone can recommend? The 2nd and 5th gear mod is intriguing but requires some extensive work. Would dynojetting benefit a dave's carb mod at all? Part of the compilation here is so that others like myself that have come here and want to make their bike a bad-ass machine don't have to scour hours upon hours on the internet trying to figure out what to do. In so doing this thread, not only am I hoping to help others, but learn myself as my BRP should be in my hands by next week.

DynoJet kit is a down grade compared to Daves Mods,i`ve been there done that.......

I have Cycle Wizard welding up and regrinding my OE cam to HRC specs so i can keep the decomp assembly...he`s porting the head,putting in KW valves,springs,locks.......shaving the head....102mm JE 10.5-1 piston and putting a new rod on it,and trueing and balancing the crank...he can also do the big fin head mod too......i have an oil cooler installed which i think is a must do on these bikes.......also have the NX650 2nd gear in and while apart i`ll be installing the FMX650 5th gear tjhis year,,the 2nd gear mod is really worth the trouble..should make for an interesting spring once i get everything together,,PC `d the frame too a pearl silver color,,looks sweet :bonk:

B

Edited by brianhare

DynoJet kit is a down grade compared to Daves Mods,i`ve been there done that.......

I have Cycle Wizard welding up and regrinding my OE cam to HRC specs so i can keep the decomp assembly...he`s porting the head,putting in KW valves,springs,locks.......shaving the head....102mm JE 10.5-1 piston and putting a new rod on it,and trueing and balancing the crank...he can also do the big fin head mod too......i have an oil cooler installed which i think is a must do on these bikes.......also have the NX650 2nd gear in and while apart i`ll be installing the FMX650 5th gear tjhis year,,the 2nd gear mod is really worth the trouble..should make for an interesting spring once i get everything together,,PC `d the frame too a pearl silver color,,looks sweet :bonk:

B

How did you go about adding an oil cooler mod if you don't mind my asking? Did you follow a guide by chance that could be linked here?

B

Hey brian can I ask how much it is to weld and recut your stock cam? I'd be interested in do this to my BRP. Any further info on this I would appreciate it.

@malignity I really love the 2nd and 5th gear mod but a carb swap to a pumper carb is by far the #1 best mod that I've done to my BRP.

Edited by D0T-C0M

@malignity I really love the 2nd and 5th gear mod but a carb swap to a pumper carb is by far the #1 best mod that I've done to my BRP.

Are you using an XR650R or XR600R carb, or did you order an aftermarket?

Here's a list off the top of my head.

opened up air box

battery relocation like Spuds

XR600R left side panel

pumper carb

XR400 oil cooler

ported head

big fin head

CW regrind cam, valve springs and valves

CW big bore kit

HD clutch springs

extended clutch lever

lightened flywheel

add a kickstart

NX 2nd and FMX 5th gears

XL600R header

good aftermarket muffler

14T XR650R countershaft sprocket

48T sprocket

Spuds chain roller conversion

4.0 Clarke tank or whatever

WPS tail light

LED turnsignals

remove rear fender support

reinforce rear subframe

remove passenger pegs

replace engine guard with real skidplate

HDB hand guards with turnignals and LED dash set-up w/ key and power outlet

KX high bars cut for woods riding

steering stabilizer

CRF450 USD forks

Renazco seat

Just to name a few...

Edited by TNTsXLR

How did you go about adding an oil cooler mod if you don't mind my asking? Did you follow a guide by chance that could be linked here?

Bought mine from GSmark on ADVrider........we helped him out alot in the design stage..very well built unit well worth the coin..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313

B

Are you using an XR650R or XR600R carb, or did you order an aftermarket?

FCR-MX from a 2008 CRF450R are the 41mm pumpers. The earlier bikes came with 40 or even 39mm carbs.

The CRF carb will not bolt directly up on your XRL. There will be a gap between the air horn on the carb and the airbox outlet, There are a couple of ways to solve this. Cycle Wizard makes a spacer that goes between your intake manifold and the carb. Problem solved. You can also attack it from the other end and get an adapter that goes between the air horn and airbox. Here is a link that I found to pj motorsports. I am not familiar with their adapter, but it looks like it would work. http://www.pjmotorsports.com/fcr-filter-adapters.html The other option is to get an adapter from NOSS. That is the adapter that I have on mine. http://www.nossmachine.com/honda_quad_parts.htm

Here is my FCR with the NOSS Adapter: P6230189.jpg

Here's my spare (without an adapter)

2011-12-03153136.jpg

Hey brian can I ask how much it is to weld and recut your stock cam? I'd be interested in do this to my BRP. Any further info on this I would appreciate it.

CycleWizard took my OE core,,welded it up and reground to HRC specs for 175 smackers.....can`t beat that..pm him..

B

CycleWizard took my OE core,,welded it up and reground to HRC specs for 175 smackers.....can`t beat that..pm him..

B

Was that with shipping or is shipping extra?

FCR-MX from a 2008 CRF450R are the 41mm pumpers. The earlier bikes came with 40 or even 39mm carbs.

The CRF carb will not bolt directly up on your XRL. There will be a gap between the air horn on the carb and the airbox outlet, The other option is to get an adapter from NOSS. That is the adapter that I have on mine.

Mine is identical to yours and I also used the NOSS adapter. I have come to love this carb not only because it is a pumper carb and it eliminates all the throttle lag but also because it has a revised AP linkage that doesn't require the taffy mod.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Was that with shipping or is shipping extra?

Well,,shipping is always extra right............problem is i can`t tell you how much as he`s sending a crank,cam,head,cylinder,JE piston kit,clarke 4.0 stickers,FMX650 fifth and a few other things to my folks in Florida and all that for 40 bucks shipping...shipping to us in N.B. for just the cam wouldn`t be awful bad..and he`ll send it U.S.P.S. if you ask him...i`d expect 8-10 bucks tops..

B

Mine is identical to yours and I also used the NOSS adapter. I have come to love this carb not only because it is a pumper carb and it eliminates all the throttle lag but also because it has a revised AP linkage that doesn't require the taffy mod.

Cycle Wizard is making a spacer so no special adapter boot is needed. It is aluminum and is meant to add intake volume and can be ported to blend the transition to a more extensively ported head.