Sign in to follow this  

02 cr250 cylinder and crank questions during rebuild

I have a 02 cr250 engine that is seized up, havent had a chance to tear down yet other than removing cylinder.

I beleive that a crank bearing is froze up as it wont turn over.

My question is, if a crank bearing seizes, does it typically damage the crank?

Does the 03 cylinder and crank readily interchange with the 02?

I am planning to go look at a used cylinder and crank in a couple days, but likely wont have a chance to split the cases to see if there is damage to my current crank before I go look at the parts.

The guy wants $50 for the cylinder and $75 for the crank. Sounds like they are both in good condition.

My cylinder is fine, sounds like the cylinder he has is fine too, the reason I am looking at getting his cylinder is the price, hard to beat $50 for a backup usable cylinder.

My real question is should I expect my crank to be damaged if there is a siezed bearing on it?

For $50 on a good used cyl. is a good deal to have as a back up cyl.. The 02-03 cyl's. are interchangeable. FYI - you can actually interchancge 02-07 but would need the 05-07 powervalves, pipe & cdi if you went that route. The 03 cyl. has revised porting specs for better low end power. I'm running an 03 cyl. on an 02 bottom end w / good results. If your going to interchange cyl.'s I'd recomend using the powervalves for that yr. the exhaust ports changed from 02-04 & then 05-07 should be the same.

On the crank it's hard to say if yours is damaged unless you pull it out & inspect it. If it checks out then check the manual to make sure it's with in the servive limit specs. I agree about buying a used crank it's best to just replace.

Edited by Hondasforlife

take a bore gauge with you. $50 is a rip off if it needs a replate or if the plate is flaking. your crank should still be rebuildable unless the bearing froze and started spinning on the crank journal but it most likely would of started spinning in the case first. see what parts you need before buying anything.. and another thing, peoeple dont normally remove a perfectly good crank. i would say the used one probly aint any better than what you already have, might even be worse. condition of the rod and bearings is what your most concearned with. cost $200 to put a new rod on yours, it aint worth messing with someone elses suspect used junk.

Edited by harryhandshake

no matter which crank you use get a new rod installed, I'd have it balanced while you are at it.

Crankworks does good work.