Sign in to follow this  

Does the TE310 run better without the O2 sensor?

In conversation today I was talking about fuel injection with a couple of TE310 owners and they swore down that for lanes and woods tracks (rather than supermoto) taking out the o2 sensor and plugging the hole was beter than running with it in..

I didnt quite get it; surely the bikes would run better in all configurations/contexts when the computer can get a good feedback of how much of the fuel it's putting in, is being burnt?

The issue is the O2 sensor is a narrow band. The limit is around 14.7 A/F ratio. This is for meeting emmissions standards, as are several other elements, including the throttle stop, which on my 2012 TE310 seems to be around 6000 -7000 (11000 + in race mode) The bikes run better with a richer mix. The other issue is with the proper resistor block in that connector, the bike accesses a different performance program in the ECU. In some bikes there are 2 modes, one race and one traction (slippery off road)

is there any way to tell what's been done to the TE i just bought and whether it's all beneficial? :bonk:

I see you're in the UK so I'm not sure how much would apply but

For off road and performance the O2 sensor is removed and the pipe plugged with a brass like item that is usually safety wired to a pipe spring holder.

Smog stuff is removed and properly plugged.

Throttle stop is removed....usually loc-tited in and has a special Japanese style Phillips head screw. Plate removed and loc-tited back.

Bike needs to be hooked to iBeat and TPS re-set along with CO settings as needed.

Free flow muffler installed but with spark arrestor.

Gearing is sometimes set for emissions standards and needs the rear changed. Some years came with extra rear sprocket and chain. Not 2012's.

Good skid plate like Uptite

This is about all I will do to my 2012 TE310

Edited by glangston

that's a fantastic list mang! thanks

so the iTunes thing you mentioned.. does it mean the husky can be tuned easily?: jut a laptop and a cable?

Glandston - Are you running the stock exhaust or aftermarket/Husky race? Stock injector and ECU?

Edited by weantright

that's a fantastic list mang! thanks

so the iTunes thing you mentioned.. does it mean the husky can be tuned easily?: jut a laptop and a cable?

This is the guy that supplies iBeat

http://semcodesigns.com/Products.html. Scott is his name and he will give you good service. Dealers have this and will hook you up too if you don't want to buy the software and cable. Maybe around $75 to set TPS AND tune, but just a guess. FI will then run well regardless of altitude. I run at sea level at home and 8000 feet at a 2nd place we have.

Easy to tune after warmup.

Glandston - Are you running the stock exhaust or aftermarket/Husky race? Stock injector and ECU?

Not many miles on my 2012 so no changes yet. Plan at 600 miles to put Uptite exhaust on bike and do power up items, throttle plate and emissions and lose the narrow band lambda. No plans on changing injector or ECU but I'm more a trail rider and I go along with George's advice on the aftermarket performance stuff. I want it to be strong, but unless I identify some weak point in power for my riding I probably won't look to do the ECU AND INJECTOR. I believe it can help but I'm not sur for me it is a must or a good bang for the buck.

Sounds like your TE310 is running good. How is the power delivery?

Hard to judge with the throttle limited to around 6000, which is where the power band starts. Also, with the 14-40 gearing.(IIRC) it is hitting 50 @ 5500 or so it doesn't feel quick.

Have you rode it with stock gearing? 14-40 is not stock??

13/40, so off on the front. My 2008 TE250 was 50 in the rear, 13 front, stock.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Husqvarna-TE310.htm

Read down to International model specs.

They seem to have done this for emissions reasons. Also some other model years had a 50 tooth rear (i have seen this at Uptite) and new chain in their parts box, but not the 2012. Checked with several CA DEALERS, Motoxotica for one, Uptite for the other and my user manual agrees.

Edited by glangston