Sign in to follow this  

Universal E-start kit

Hey Guys,this is my first post here in the engineering section of TT.I will most likely be in here alot because after HS im persuing Mechanical Engineering as my profession.A little backround first-Im 17 years old,been riding for 6 years now and currently ride a KX100.I have multiple disabilities starting off with Cerbal Palsy.This affects the whole right side of my body,including my kicking leg for starting.So me being who I am,I thought to myself is there an E-start kit that can go on ANY bike,that doesn't already have it equipped?

I've done a bit of research on this,and seemed to have found nothing.So this idea would change my riding expirence forever.Some of you guys will probably say you ride a KX100 fine,and its a kickstart.Well,I can kick that fine,its just that when im tired I can just push a button and go.I also get on my uncles nerves alot because he usually rides behind me,and when I stall it I keep him waiting.Im 5ft10 now,so the 100 is too big for me now so I'll be upgrading soon possibly to a KX250F which is kick only.My leg is strong enough to kick but tires me out and also keeps everbody waiting on me.

So if you guys could offer any helpful insight that would be a hudge help.

Thanks,

kx100nick

Depending on what type of riding you do, you may want to look into an uncorked wr250 or 250x. Or even (dare I say it) a KTM with E-start.

It will be much cheaper in the long run to unplug an E-start bike than to convert a kx250f to E-start.

IMHO

I've looked at the wr's and crfx's they are exactly what I'm after minus the weight and with a little more power.Plus I'm VERY loyal to Kawasaki.

Buy a KTM, 08-2011 250xc, more power, less weight then the WR or CRXs.....but have you have to get over your green fetish!

I'm strongly considering one and the added reliability is a great bonus.But I just can't get over my love for Kawasaki.

Well use some of you engineering and make a electric starter setup. The other option is to get a Rekluse clutch, pretty much makes your bike stall proof!

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf
  • Like 1

I have an interesting thought on this. Some of the new hybrid automobiles use an alternator that doubles as an electric assist motor. I wonder why this technology couldn't be adapted to produce a combination stator/starter for bikes? If that could be done, the only additional hardware required would be a battery.

Thoughts?

you could possibly make an extremely strong servo to kick it over for you. it would need to mount on the end of the kick shaft and have a small controll circuit or little microprocessor to tell it how far to move and how many times to kick. also needs to be small, or place the drive motor somewhere where it fits and run drivetrain to the shaft. there are some robotic gear motors with insane torque you could look into.

maybe try extending the kick lever for more torque to the shaft?

• Like 1

I have an interesting thought on this. Some of the new hybrid automobiles use an alternator that doubles as an electric assist motor. I wonder why this technology couldn't be adapted to produce a combination stator/starter for bikes? If that could be done, the only additional hardware required would be a battery.

Thoughts?

you would need a specially wound 3 phase stator and a brushless motor controller. (expensivvvvveeeeeee!!!!!!! for the size needed.)essentially making a giant outrunner brushless motor. il bet it would work great actually, at a high price. and a standard motorcycle battery would probably overload with the amp draw.

Edited by MCRIPPPer

you would need a specially wound 3 phase stator and a brushless motor controller. (expensivvvvveeeeeee!!!!!!! for the size needed.)essentially making a giant outrunner brushless motor. il bet it would work great actually, at a high price. and a standard motorcycle battery would probably overload with the amp draw.

When you consider the cost of a starter motor, the drive train for the starter, and the additional complexity of cases designed for it, could it really cost much more? And the amp draw shouldn't be any higher than a standard starter draws, the load is still the same. Edited by Chokey

motors dont care how much load they have, they draw a constant amperage based on the voltage applied, and rpm of the motor. higher rpm, lower amperage drawn. higher voltage, higher amps. a brushless motor the size of the stator and flywheel could create crazy azz power and would need a fairly complex (not exactly expensive if you are technically skilled in electronics)

PWM speed control to keep the HP at a sane level. its totally doable if your willing to learn(or already know alot about) micro controllers and electronics. it would probably require a custom circuit board and design, but its easier then ever now with cheap easy to use microchip project boards(circuit boards with basically only a microchip that you plug into your computer to control other devices like motor drivers and the like. the most expensive part would be the motor driver.

you also need to make sure the flywheel magnets are arranged properly to make a motor with. (im pretty sure it would work, since the stator outputs clean AC)

Edited by MCRIPPPer

It sounds to me like this is something that could be done fairly easy at the factory level to add e-start to bikes without adding a lot of weight.

Although it doesn't solve nick's problem.

In current configuration the stator is right off the end of the crank, so a motor/generator would have to drive the crank without the advantage of gear reduction.

A starter motor is a very high torque motor as is, and still needs a lot of gear reduction to get things spinning.

The combo alternator/starters on hybrids turn multi-cylinder engines over just fine. And the stator/motor would be much larger than a normal motorcycle starter.

there are some little RC plane and helicopter motors that have several HP at low rpm, so a motor the size of the stator could easily crank an engine directly. people underestimate the power of brushless motors.

this mod could easily be done by someone who has alot of knowledge of electricity and electronics (you would most likely need a microcontroller for this project, but it is still doable.)

Edited by MCRIPPPer

true, and I like the idea. But the e motor is about 40hp to start a gas 70hp direct drive. Cutting that ratio in 1/2 you may need? a 20hp to start a 35hp bike motor, That's quite a lump on the side of the case. but might be possible I guess.

what if you had a compression release that would let the motor spin up and gain some inertia before trying to fire it.

Buy a KTM, 08-2011 250xc, more power, less weight then the WR or CRXs.....but have you have to get over your green fetish!

I can't imagine him doing that. I clearly remember one thread where young Nick proclaimed to have towed more KTMs out of the woods than he cared to mention. Haha I'm just flipping a little s*** where s*** is due,but seriously,I wish you the best in your endeavor. Some kind of bolt on e-start would probably benefit a lot of riders by allowing them to buy the bike they really want without being bound to the ones that the factories decide are worthy of the button.