Sign in to follow this  

yz125 powervalve removal help needed

Discovered a broken spring in my 02 yz125 powervalve so I need to remove it. Can someone describe how to do it, or at least a good link which shows it? It seems simple but I don't want to screw something up. I know that I need to remove the link on the right side but thats about it.

I have the entire engine out of the bike. The motor is completely together because I didn't feel like taking the top end apart yet. Thanks guys

Edited by bueller1200

It is not difficult. If you managed to remove the engine from the bike you certainly have sufficient mechanical abilities to repair the powervalve. I suggest you download the free service manual at the following link. It describes the complete procedure and has all the diagrams you need. Take pictures of the assembly before you start removing stuff and refer to them if you get stuck on the reassembly. Post some pics of the repair, and if you have any specific questions I can help.

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/index.php

I've read the manual a few times and still have a question. I know on the yz250 you need to hold something in the arm while you take the bolt off, is there something similar on the 125?

Not sure if you can tell but the right spring is loose so the valve doesn't open.

5645645.jpg

Just remove the top bolt and pull off the arm?

4564564.jpg

I will have a video of this repair on my Youtube channel in the next week or so. Anyway, you'll need to take off the bolt at the top in the last pic, then there will be a screw under that you'll need to take off and then you'll need to take out the allen bolt in between the springs. After that it all slides out. Re-install in the same order.

^^^ Yep. And when you are tightening the end bolt upon reinstallation you need to prevent the arm from turning. You can wedge a socket of apprioriate size between the case just above the lever (where the pivot pin is in your second pic).