Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft leakage

Bike is a 2007 525 EXC. No leakage at countershaft prior to new sprocket. Bought a new Tag Metals countershaft sprocket. Now there is leakage. I replaced the bolt, spring washer, seal, o-ring, and spacer. Still leakage. With the sprocket off the shaft, I noticed that there is a small amount of in and out movement of the countershaft. About 1/64" I'd guess. With the sprocket installed the amount of play seems to improve slightly. Still some play.

Question: Is play at the countershaft normal when the sprocket is off the bike? Will an oem sprocket take up the play?

Edited by Dustbuster

The problem very likely is that the aftermarket sprocket is too thin and therefore the o-ring is not sealing against the bottom of the spacer. Mike the stock sprocket and OEM sprocket to verify. I recommend using the OEM sprocket.

P.S. A little play is normal.

Edited by Chas_M
  • Like 1

Thanks. My local KTM shop has an oem sprocket. I will bring the Tag sprocket to verify. Good to know about the countershaft play. That's a huge relief.

Yes, prob the sprocket is too thin. Always change the spring washer.

This is a fairly common problem. The stock O-ring on the RFS engine is 25.12mm X 1.78mm. You can find a 25mm x 2mm o-ring, I bought one on ebay for about 1$. It adds a little bit of thickness for a better fit. Still use a proper thickness sprocket.

Edited by trooper8

For a slightly thicker O-ring, some of us use the KTM O-ring for 2 strokes which is the same diameter but a little thicker.

I have a new 2012 exc 500,an i too have a little leak by sprocket,it is a new renthal.I did measure it an it seems to be the same size as stock or a little thicker,but i have to ask.Shouldt i have the sprocket wit smooth side face out or in,cause the stock sprocket has the smooth side facing out......wit the collar facing in..if that makes any sence?????

I've heard a few different people with small leaks from countershaft sprocket including myself, not sure about your case but for me it only leaks when i let it sit on the kickstand, but not very much at all, when i leave it on the bike stand no matter how long i do not leak what so ever.

another thing to check is your chain tension, if its too tightg it will cause the seal to start leaking early.

KTM's aren't fond of aftermarket sprockets. Either beef up your o-ring like people have stated, or stick with KTM parts for the front drive.