Chad Reed Injuries- are the new fox boots to blame?

Just wanted to see if any of ya' all saw Chad's crash in Dallas... Looked to me like the hinge on the back of his new fox instinct boot caught on his foot peg.. he has pretty serious injuries to that leg... ACL and broken tib, fib... coincidence??? Hmmm, I think not...

I dunno, fbennet12.

I personally believe that the majority of the time, a crash is because of rider error, somehow. He was goin' pretty fast, ya know..... I'm thinking for him to be in the position where his feet were off the pegs, so the pegs possibly could catch on his boots, there was a "mistake" made before the boots got hooked that caused his injuries.

Honestly, these guys are giving it 100%, or more, when they're in the main. There's just gonna be things like Chad's injuries that happen when your at that level of a sport like moto.

I've gotta ask this, if you think his Fox boots caused his crash or injuries. What do you think caused Ryan's crash & injuries at St. Louis that year he broke both legs? No possibility of pilot error?

Jimmie

I dunno, fbennet12.

I personally believe that the majority of the time, a crash is because of rider error, somehow. He was goin' pretty fast, ya know..... I'm thinking for him to be in the position where his feet were off the pegs, so the pegs possibly could catch on his boots, there was a "mistake" made before the boots got hooked that caused his injuries.

Honestly, these guys are giving it 100%, or more, when they're in the main. There's just gonna be things like Chad's injuries that happen when your at that level of a sport like moto.

I've gotta ask this, if you think his Fox boots caused his crash or injuries. What do you think caused Ryan's crash & injuries at St. Louis that year he broke both legs? No possibility of pilot error?

Jimmie

Please note that I was very careful not to ask what caused the crash...clearly that is rider error and not keeping the rubber side down... my question specifically refers to the injuries sustained to the left leg (just as my question states). In watching the crash, it just "seems" like the hinge hooking the peg could be a major contributing factor... just sayin...

I stand corrected about that, Sir! :bonk:

But I still feel have to think that IF he hadn't made the pilot error that got him into that crash, we might not be havin' this conversation.......

I wonder if he wears knee braces or not? There's been some speculation those cause torn ACLs & such....

Are you keepin' tabs on what's going on in Atlanta now?

Jimmie

I stand corrected about that, Sir! :bonk:

But I still feel have to think that IF he hadn't made the pilot error that got him into that crash, we might not be havin' this conversation.......

I wonder if he wears knee braces or not? There's been some speculation those cause torn ACLs & such....

Are you keepin' tabs on what's going on in Atlanta now?

Jimmie

Dungee and the KTM...barely...

Did RD win, or is leading the main, or?

Sorry. I don't have cable, and ain't where I normally have been able to watch the races...... It's killin' me.....

Back on the subject of the chance Chad's boots caused his crash...... When did he switch to Fox? I thought he rode with Thor stuff< or am I really livin' in the past????

Thanks, fbennet12!

Jimmie

Did RD win, or is leading the main, or?

Sorry. I don't have cable, and ain't where I normally have been able to watch the races...... It's killin' me.....

Back on the subject of the chance Chad's boots caused his crash...... When did he switch to Fox? I thought he rode with Thor stuff< or am I really livin' in the past????

Thanks, fbennet12!

Jimmie

RD5 wins the main with RV2 closing fast... great finish.

Reed wears shift gear normally but I think he has always worn fox boots... the Instincts look pretty sick but with a price point of 6 bills and after watching how CR22 got hung up, dont think I will be gettin any soon.

RD5 wins the main with RV2 closing fast... great finish.

Reed wears shift gear normally but I think he has always worn fox boots... the Instincts look pretty sick but with a price point of 6 bills and after watching how CR22 got hung up, dont think I will be gettin any soon.

I believe he wore Alpinestar when he was with Thor. Shift came when he started his Honda team, but don't remember what boots he was wearing last year.

Ride

spot on Sir

all this gear, "helps prevent - or reduce injury"

does NOT

Eliminate.

Racing is dangerous

RIding dirt bikes is dangerous, we all know that.

we wear the gear so we hope on the small tip overs etc that we can continue to ride/race

if you think you can bail at pro speed, in knarly woops that you coudnt walk in and not stand the chance of serious damage...well...

http:/www.knitting.com

watch chad roll up the windows last year at the outdoor national. His gear prevented serious injury, as did his physical fitness, but he didnt walk away clean from that one, reed is wood pecker lips fitness and pain level receptors wise....

I wear a hinged boot, Sidi SRS - only boot I will wear, saved me so many times I need a calculator to count em.

He crashed, he broke a lot of stuff including ribs etc. Had nothing to do with the boots IMHO.

HR

Ride

spot on Sir

all this gear, "helps prevent - or reduce injury"

does NOT

Eliminate.

Racing is dangerous

RIding dirt bikes is dangerous, we all know that.

we wear the gear so we hope on the small tip overs etc that we can continue to ride/race

if you think you can bail at pro speed, in knarly woops that you coudnt walk in and not stand the chance of serious damage...well...

http:/www.knitting.com

watch chad roll up the windows last year at the outdoor national. His gear prevented serious injury, as did his physical fitness, but he didnt walk away clean from that one, reed is wood pecker lips fitness and pain level receptors wise....

I wear a hinged boot, Sidi SRS - only boot I will wear, saved me so many times I need a calculator to count em.

HR

I also wear all of the latest protective gear (including a leatt, boots, chest protector, knee braces, etc). I wont even start my bike without a helmet on (slight exaggeration but you get the point). These forums always make me chuckle a bit as most people filter other people's posts through thier own perception vs just taking the post as it is stated. Protective gear is absolutely necessary, I have not stated nor eluded to anything different. However, new technologies are emerging, like hinged boots, that may have unintended issues not recognized during trial/testing. I beleive its our responsiblity as informed consumers to ask every question and consider every possiblity about these designs (I know sidi and gaerne have had hinges for some time, but this is new for fox). I simply observed something I have not seen before in a crash like this...the heel portion of the boot was definitely hooked on the bike. Is it possible that this contributed to the severity of the injury? I think yes, its possible and its worth asking the question. You can plainly see that Chad's entire body weight is lifted in the air, twisted, and pulled forward by his hooked boot. Does this mean that I will toss my fox boots and other protective gear aside and dawn some flip flops and bahama shorts on my next ride...probably not. But I will certainly keep my eye on this new boot design, ask a helluvalot of questions, and make an informed decision about what I choose to wear, or allow my family to wear. Just sayin...