Sign in to follow this  

KX250 HELP!

Hi i'm 16, 160 lbs and have experiance on four wheelers. I've ridden everything from blasters to hopped up 450r's. I'm looking into dirtbikes and my neighbor has a stock 2002 kx250 thats been sitting in his barn collecting dust for years (about 5) and thats why i'm a bit worried! It's barely been ridden (about 40 hrs) and then has just sat. What could go wrong with it? Also, I'm wondering if its the right bike for me. I ride muddy trails which might be hard on it? I've heard good and bad about 2 stroke trail bikes. I also ride at the oregon dunes but i know it will do fine there! Do you think it will be too big or fast for me? I dont want to deal with maintence or other issues. Also, price is 1400

thanks

Its an ok price , but there are definite concerns. If it was left with fuel in it , the carb is probably a globbed mess, especially if it was ethinol tainted fuel. All the seals in the suspension are probably dried up and will need replacement shortly after your first ride. That is not an unusual deal as any 02 bike is probably going need that unless its been done RIGHT within the last year. Unfortunately, kx's have an inherent flaw of having the crank seals within the cases. This means you have split the cases to change the crank seals. It is likely these seals have dried up after 5 years. You can check this by having him clean up the carb and tank and get it running . If it surges alot and doesn't idle after a good warm up, they are probably toast. oh ya, have him change the oil , if he's willing to do this, look at the oil , if there is ALOT of water in it , the waterpump seals are bad. I would probably run away if thats the case, because after 5 years with water in the transmission , every steel part in there is gonna be rusted to crap. Now , with all that being said , the kx could work for you with a few mods. A flywheel weight , a good reed system , like a v force, and a pipe to smooth things out for the slick stuff you ride. Ultimately you have to decide if its good for you, so ride before you buy! Good Luck

2 stroke cranks are lubed by premix. they are not in a bath of oil like a 4 stroke. this means it relys on oil left over to keep it lubed while it was sitting for 5 years.. this means they are more then likley corroded and need new bearings

Well, he is out of town for a week so I am unsure on all of this. He says he has ridden it a couple of times every year the last 5 years. if I got it for $1000 - $1200 would it be a fair deal with some of these issues? How much would it cost to fix?

alot of the cost will depend on if you can do it yourself. if you can do it yourself here are some ball park figures: fork seals/ oil 75$ , shock seal/ oil 50$+nitrogen recharge, crank seals(must split cases)50$, if it needs bearings i would do a crank and topend 450$. It can really snow ball once you get into it.You can cheap out on the crank and just put outer bearings , but you are taking a real gamble on the rod bearings. The transmission toasted would probably be a deal breaker unless you used used parts, i won't even give a guess. A good test ride will give you a good idea on the condition of these things.Rocky mountain atv and Motosport.com are good sites to get oem and aftermarket parts prices. I would expect to do the suspension seals at a minimum. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. Ive decided to just play it safe and get a bike set up for what I like and in nicer conditon. Couple hundred more, but oh well I guess!

sometimes its better to spend a little more money now, because that barn find might have serious issues.