Sign in to follow this  

Ford V-10 vs. GM 8.1

What do you guys think about these engine and auto transmission combos?

I know more about the GM and am more familiar with it...I know it has the allision auto 5 or 6 speed depending the year...I can get a 2001 to 2007...but GM took the bailout so...

The Ford...what auto transmission did it have in the 2005-2010??? (What I am looking at in a Ford)...I know very little about the Ford but they did not take the bailout...

So what are common problems and issues with both...opinions on both...I know everyone loves diesels...so do I but I can not affoard one and would not use it enough yet to justify the cost...I can find either of these trucks all day long with 100k ish or less for $15k ish or less near me... vs a diesel that I am interested in with low miles is close to double that...this will not be a DD and will be a CC Long Box 4x4...

Thanks,

-mt-

I have a 2011 ford with the 6.2 gas, really like the motor. in a 250 crew cab I get 11-14 mpg empty, when pulling my 35' 5th wheel i get 7-8 mpg- going 65-70. never seems short on power.

2- year ago I rented a ford f450 motor home with the v-10. seems like a great motor- I got 8 mpg on a 35 ft rv. Had tons of power to the mountains.

I also liked the desiel but could not justify the extra cost of the motor and the fuel. Many problems with the 6.0 ford.

Both of these have great automatic trans. They shift nice and have a great engine breaking, they will hold a mph on a big down grade by automaticly down shifting.

Between the 2 id chose the gm, im a big ford guy, work at ford and drive a f250 diesel now, but the 8.1 is a great motor and tranny combo, i believe the 8.1 had a issue with the tstat that it was too hot so lowering to a lower tstat temp fixed the issues, if you go to dieselplace.com and look up the 8.1 they give you a lot of FAQ about it. Now the v10 i dont see much of them but when they come in, the exhaust manifolds and studs alway need to be replaced, as most fords, but being a v10 its such a big manifold, they warp and crack etc. The older 2v v10 use to spit out spark plugs, and now the new 3v break plugs in the head do to design, so either way its a headache. If i had to buy another truck again it would be a gm 2500 dmax, interior is nicer, better ride, and better engine!

• Like 1

I have a 99 f250 superduty with 215k on a v10. The only problems I've had is a few coil packs going bad. I really like the truck and would buy a v10 again.

Ive herd nothing but good about the 8.1 and i hate gm in fact I use to work at a parts store and never done a single part to a 8.1 not counting the normal stuff

my bov van has the gas V-10 and it has tons of power. 8 mpg by itself and 7 towing thwe tahoe on a trailer and a 30 ft travel trailer.

BVtriphome.jpg

There are diesels in your price range. I have an 02 f250 4x4 lariat 7.3L diesel. I purchased it 2 years ago with 127,000 miles for 12,500. It was closer to 15k after taxes and title. My truck was already lifted and has 37x14x18" tires. I get about 15 mpg mixed driving without towing.

What do you guys think about these engine and auto transmission combos?

I know more about the GM and am more familiar with it...I know it has the allision auto 5 or 6 speed depending the year...I can get a 2001 to 2007...but GM took the bailout so...

The Ford...what auto transmission did it have in the 2005-2010??? (What I am looking at in a Ford)...I know very little about the Ford but they did not take the bailout...

So what are common problems and issues with both...opinions on both...I know everyone loves diesels...so do I but I can not affoard one and would not use it enough yet to justify the cost...I can find either of these trucks all day long with 100k ish or less for $15k ish or less near me... vs a diesel that I am interested in with low miles is close to double that...this will not be a DD and will be a CC Long Box 4x4...

Thanks,

-mt-

GM took the bailout,so you are a shareholder. :thumbsup: will they pay it back?

what is the best bang for the buck? I like the Silverado HD

One of our work trucks is a Ford with the V10. When we got it I thought that because it is a V10 it would have plenty of power, I was very wrong, the damn thing can barely get out of it's own way. After having one I would never recommend one to anyone for any reason.

From what you guys have said and the more research I have done I am thinking that the cleaner of the two for the better price is the one that I would go for...I would love a diesel but want low mileage and a crew cab...around my neck of the woods I can't find that...but I can find BB gas pickups with low miles and in a crew cab configuration for relatively inexpensive...I know that a diesel will pull better (I have driven & pulled with BB gas motors and diesels alike) but the increased initial cost, maintenance, and insurance push me towards a gas motor...it will not be my last pickup and in the future would like a diesel...but for now its not needed or in the cards cost wise...besides I will probably only put 10k miles per year for now...

Thanks Again Everyone, if anyone has more ideas or opinions please let me know,

Thanks,

-mt-

One of our work trucks is a Ford with the V10. When we got it I thought that because it is a V10 it would have plenty of power, I was very wrong, the damn thing can barely get out of it's own way. After having one I would never recommend one to anyone for any reason.

Sounds like there is something wrong with your truck.....this V10 is a pulling beast. I pull 18 wheelers on mountains when towing.

• Like 1

Hell, we just bought an 08' Chevy Silverado 2500HD from a bankruptcy auction and it has the 6.1 or something close to that, it has the six speed and it is a beast. In combo with the six speed it is the perfect truck for towing. Can't go wrong with Allison transmissions, there great!

Hell, we just bought an 08' Chevy Silverado 2500HD from a bankruptcy auction and it has the 6.1 or something close to that, it has the six speed and it is a beast. In combo with the six speed it is the perfect truck for towing. Can't go wrong with Allison transmissions, there great!

Should be a 6.0 gas with a 6L80E...only the DMAX and 8.1L got the Allison...I have driven and pulled trailers with 6.0's and 4-speed auto's and was disappointed...

-mt-

Should be a 6.0 gas with a 6L80E...only the DMAX and 8.1L got the Allison...I have driven and pulled trailers with 6.0's and 4-speed auto's and was disappointed...

-mt-

Well the six speed is great

Well we all would like to know what You would recommend. Pretty sure the Chevy Luv your driving wont count.

I've got the 8.1 with the 4L85-E and it'll pull without ever getting hot. 8 mpg when towing, I crushed the rear frame and hitch about a year ago. I have the Avalanche on a suburban frame. 37 gal tank has some range. I have travelled with a friend and his v-10 and it had a pretty small tank, he was stopping 2-1 to my stops if that matters.1507fdc7.jpgfdf70db6.jpg

I also have work trucks with the V-10, both 2005's, one in Utah, one in Alabama. Both are pigs, and unable to get out of their own way, not to mention the horribly cheap interiors. Of course, they are both work trucks, and spec'd out as such. I will say that when towing a trailer (35' gooseneck) it did alright, but not great. I have a friend with an 8.1, which is also no diesel, but it tows well. Like you say, hard to beat those 6spd trannys! That is, unless you have a six speed stick... but I digress. Go GM, be happy, and live long and prosper.

Everyone that i know that had a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton it was a turd....but thats just me!