Sign in to follow this  

Washington Riding with the troops

I had the priveledge to ride with a great group of guys set up by Old Grunt today at Tahuya. 3 soldiers from Ft Lewis came out and we set them up with bikes and gear, and after a bit of initial instruction we were off. All 3 of them did REALLY well. they arrived with different levels of experience, and after today I think they were really hooked. Of course, the excellent weather and Dutch's hospitality helped a great deal. I look forward to doing this again when needed.

Joe

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

• Like 1

Big thank you to Dutch, Joe, and Steve for taking us out riding yesterday. One of the guys I brought with me had no motorcycle experience at all and the other one only had street bike experience. Dutch, Joe, and Steve got them both pretty comfortable on the bikes in a very short amount of time. We all had a great time and appreciate you guys donating your free time and your bikes and equipment. I think you guys have initiated some new dirt bikers and better yet you may have turned a quad guy into a motorcycle guy. Even with the dirt samples and meetings with trees everyone was all smiles at the end of the day.

I'll have to bring the GoPro next time and hopefully get video of some of the good times. Like Joe (another Joe not Trailmeisterjoe) giving Steve a KTM 300 powered mud shower or me nearly taking a swim in the giant puddle that i had been warned about 2 minutes earlier.

Thanks again for taking the three of us out riding.

• Like 1

Awesome thing to do! These folks certainly deserve it and it's great to see what a great community we are blessed to be part of!

Scott,

I am rertired ANG out of Camp Murry and Fort Lewis. I will PM you.

Dutch

Joe

Ping me on the next ride

Im retired Army, out of Ft Lewis and have plenty of bikes and gear to go around for a ride.

Awesome help the troops any way i can.

Scott

This program was started two years ago. There is a long thread entitled "Dirt Bike Troop Support" if anyone wants to see the history of this effort. This ride was the second one for 2012. The one troop who attended the 1st ride returned with two of his fellow soldiers. At the end of the day all three had ear to ear grins and that made my day for me.

The day was a good test of our plans and preperations showing that we have a lot more prep to do, I need to put a serious training program together to better meet the needs of inexperienced riders before they go into crash mode. This ride would not have been anywhere near the success that it was without the help of Trailmeister Joe and my expert trials rider/buddy Steve (grey hair in last photo).

The experience of the 3 troops varied. One had a total of 17 hours dirt riding experience. One had street but no dirt experience, and one had never been on two wheels. That's right, not even a bicycle. This man gave an outstanding display of the guts and determination that so many of those who serve in combat arms roles possess. With just a little coaching from Steve he was dealing with the controls reasonably well and in less than an hour he wanted to try the trails.

We did about 20 miles during which he went down 8 times, once quite hard doing an actural face plant. Thanks to you TT'rs who have donated gear to this effort he was fully protected. He just shook off his crash times and got right back at it. His determination and willingness to endure pain does not surprise me knowing that he jumps out of airplanes with half his body weight in tools of the trade strapped to him. He is in the picture with Steve taken shortly after one of his "get offs." (I wonder if he had that same expression before his first parachute jump?) He was all smiles at the end of the day.

We are now a non-profit organization registered in the State of Washington as the Troop Support Brigade. This troop support program can quickly grow beyond the ability of the few riders now involved to supply the bikes and gear needed to fully equip troops for a days fun. If any of you single track riders would like to spend some quality time with some quality people who serve in our armed forces please consider joining the Troop Support Brigade. Please PM me if you are interested.

Edited by oldgrunt

Joe

Ping me on the next ride

Im retired Army, out of Ft Lewis and have plenty of bikes and gear to go around for a ride.

Awesome help the troops any way i can.

Scott

Scott, as you have seen this all is being coordinated by Old Grunt so I am sure he would gladly accept donations of gear and funds from anyone wanting to help. It is a truly worthy cause......we should all try and help get the guys out for some fun sometimes so they can get away and wind down a bit.

Joe

Big thank you to Dutch, Joe, and Steve for taking us out riding yesterday. One of the guys I brought with me had no motorcycle experience at all and the other one only had street bike experience. Dutch, Joe, and Steve got them both pretty comfortable on the bikes in a very short amount of time. We all had a great time and appreciate you guys donating your free time and your bikes and equipment. I think you guys have initiated some new dirt bikers and better yet you may have turned a quad guy into a motorcycle guy. Even with the dirt samples and meetings with trees everyone was all smiles at the end of the day.

I'll have to bring the GoPro next time and hopefully get video of some of the good times. Like Joe (another Joe not Trailmeisterjoe) giving Steve a KTM 300 powered mud shower or me nearly taking a swim in the giant puddle that i had been warned about 2 minutes earlier.

Thanks again for taking the three of us out riding.

Jack, it was a total honor to be able to get you guys out for some R&R ! I was amazed at how Mike and Joe picked up the skills throughout the day ( YOU sir have got it down fine ) . Feel free to send me a note any time you can get away in between any official rides and we will take you to all the good stuff.

Joe

joe,

i've still got a long ways to go but i have learned a lot both times i have gone out. i'll definitely try to take you up on the offer for more rides. hopefully i can slip out every once in a while after the baby gets here and the snow up in the mountains melts. maybe the wife will find it easier to take care of two boys instead of three and tell me to go ride. a guy can hope.