Sign in to follow this  

stator and clutch cover color

Why are the crf450 engine covers a broze color? The covers on my bike are really worn and Im wondering if i can coat it with something. Is it just paint or is it broze because of the material its made of?

The earlier bikes just had magnesium clutch covers, the engine covers were aluminun. The later bikes switched to a magnesium engine cover as well.

The magnesium will eventually loose its color as it ages and oxidizes - the magnesium clutch cover on my '02 pretty much looks like the rest of the engine now.

Edited by Lead Head

The paint on the clutch covers is an epoxy based stuff because the magnesium corrodes like crazy. They painted the 04 and up ignition covers to match. I stripped and polished my clutch over. Wish I hadnt.

The paint on the clutch covers is an epoxy based stuff because the magnesium corrodes like crazy. They painted the 04 and up ignition covers to match. I stripped and polished my clutch over. Wish I hadnt.

I am glad I read this. As you know I have mine off and was going to look into something like media blasting it and something else to finish it as it looks like they look from boots etc. Not going to touch it now. It is what it is and does not mean anything other then appearance. Edited by mrmoto35