Need some help making my bike a better trail bike.

I know the carb is a keihin but is it a PWK 38. I am looking up jets. Also for the for the reed valve. Do you have to replace the whole reed valve assy or can you just replace the reed valve and stopper reed valve. from exploded parts diagrams it looks like you can do that.

Also when buying jets do you want the genuine keihin jet or the OEM equivilant keihin jet.

Our Keihin carbs uses the same Keihin jets. At that time i re-jetted mine, i just bough Keihin jets from a parts store myself not knowing whether such an OEM-equivalent Keihin jets existed.

You reckon they would be different? Nonethless, they are good man and they get the job done as long as all other problems on the spooge issue are addressed already :bonk:

Goodluck man!

Never mind found that jets fit the PWK and PWM. Ordered 48 and 45 pilot

That's the way to go man if you're really intent on leaning out! 45 and 48 pilot and 172 and 175 main.

But at your temperature out there.... BRRRR in Alaska, your main jet might even go to 180 or so.... Be careful on the pilot as well, 45 may already be way lean unless you run a tighter squish clearance at those temps you're in.

Ok pulled the carb and reeds today. Just as advertised the carb was jetted stock with a main 178, pilot 50, needle clip in second position from the top. The reeds i thought looked fine with no cracks or chipping but i dont know if they have enough snap to them. For $30 i will just get new reeds as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok now that i have the bike torn down and have a good idea on proper jetting i need help with another thing. How do you choose the correct handlebars. My current handlebars are protaper and i think they are contours. I hate them. I dont know if it is because im to tall for them but i think i have to hunch over to much when standing up riding. I am 6'1 and ride trails and the track a little and want a new handlebar. What do you look for in handlebars to meet your body and riding requirments?

Look at the sizing charts the manufacturers provide and check out what other people or friends are running.

Look into a set of bar risers.

On my KTM I run stock bars with risers, My CRF has CR Highs with no risers and my YZ has stock bend and 30mm risers.

Keep in mind the risers may affect the way the bike handles and turns.