70 degree subframe tank?

Hey guys,

Just ordered a 70 degree fuel tank. I've looked at some photos online and the installation looks pretty strait forward. So I have a few questions for those who have one:

Any problems with the installation?

What about the vent tubing coming off the top of the fuel cap, it looks akward - is it?

Rumor has it they made some changes to the latest batch of tanks, do you know what they were.

And the all important questions: What kind of range are you getting with it? And does it hold up?

I know there is info spread around all the different websites but some of it is getting a bit dated, I was wanting some fresh input.

Thanks

Edited by dlorenz

I don't think it should. It's only a little over 1 gallon and it sits low and centered. I'm not racing at a high competitive level where I'm going to notice it much, if at all. The extra range I will definitely notice though, I'm looking forward to some long range desert trips this spring. Maybe buy one of those Coyote Giant Loop saddlebags too for the extra gear. I better get to work and make some dough to pay for all this!

Edited by dlorenz

I have one of these and love it. The extra gallon of fuel does not sound like much for the money, but it give the bike a bit over 3 gallons of capacity which is perfect for the long 100 mile off road loop. It is worth the price of admission as it makes the difference between pushing or having to baby the throttle and worry about running out of gas on a long day ride. It bolts right on and is as well made as the OEM subframe. It is a big bonus to be able to see your fuel level too.

One foible. The vent tube can fill with gas so it hydraulic locks and does not vent. As a result, the tank will not fill properly and/or seek a common level like it should. The solution for me was to put a one way check valve for a gas cap vent line on the 70 Degree tank vent. Put it is close to the tank as possible so any gas that does slosh up into the line will just go right back down into the tank. The tank may fill a little slower as a result, but it still fills. My bike is a slow fill up anyway, as I have a filter sock in the filler neck.

I don't really notice the extra fuel having much of an impact on handling either. I don't always fill it to full either. If the ride is not going to be that long. In that case there is no handling impact.

Edited by Duken4evr

I have one of these and love it. The extra gallon of fuel does not sound like much for the money, but it give the bike a bit over 3 gallons of capacity which is perfect for the long 100 mile off road loop. It is worth the price of admission as it makes the difference between pushing or having to baby the throttle and worry about running out of gas on a long day ride. It bolts right on and is as well made as the OEM subframe. It is a big bonus to be able to see your fuel level too.

One foible. The vent tube can fill with gas so it hydraulic locks and does not vent. As a result, the tank will not fill properly and/or seek a common level like it should. The solution for me was to put a one way check valve for a gas cap vent line on the 70 Degree tank vent. Put it is close to the tank as possible so any gas that does slosh up into the line will just go right back down into the tank. The tank may fill a little slower as a result, but it still fills. My bike is a slow fill up anyway, as I have a filter sock in the filler neck.

I don't really notice the extra fuel having much of an impact on handling either. I don't always fill it to full either. If the ride is not going to be that long. In that case there is no handling impact.

Duke.... Can you post a photo of your tank with the check valve placement?

Duken4evr,

Since the seat takes 1/2 a second to take off, I was thinking you could just pull off the seat then the pull off the check valve when you are filling it up to help it fill faster and more completely? I don't know the location of your check valve but I assume its under the seat. . . . Just think'in

Is the type of check valve you used just the typical one most of us have on our bikes anyway?

EX:

f4f8222564116a49512d5817be9ea2d8.png

Edited by dlorenz

Here is a pic of my vent/valve setup. Funny thing is, the tank does not fill that much faster with the valve off, so I don't bother. Wound up securing it with zip ties to keep out out of the way of the seat. It works pretty good!

Vent.jpg

Rumor has it they made some changes to the latest batch of tanks, do you know what they were.

... I was wanting some fresh input.

We cut up tanks and looked at the thinner portions and made the adjustments to correct. Also worked on the parting lines where the three different pieces of the mold come together to eliminate any inconsistency. Also we have made sure the inserts are totally covered on the inside with material and it’s a consistent thickness around it. All tanks made now are pressure tested to 10 psi under water.

Source: John Wiser

Edited by Noppy

We cut up tanks and looked at the thinner portions and made the adjustments to correct. Also worked on the parting lines where the three different pieces of the mold come together to eliminate any inconsistency. Also we have made sure the inserts are totally covered on the inside with material and it’s a consistent thickness around it. All tanks made now are pressure tested to 10 psi under water.

Cool, Thanks Noppy for the reply. It looks like an amazing product, can't wait for it to arrive.

Edited by dlorenz

How do you know if it is the update or where do you get the latest and greatest sub frame tanks.

I don't know how you would know for sure, but I ordered it direct from the manufacturer and they said they have sold all of the tanks they have produced. The ones you get now are on back order until the production of new tanks can catch up with the new orders. I called other sources of tanks (retail) and they said they were waiting for the next production of tanks too.

John Wiser of 70 degree racing in an email to me (2/27): "Production actually started this week. Should have tanks to ship within two weeks."

I'm pretty sure the ones you order now are going to be the new tanks, though I haven't heard any complaints about the old tanks.

Edited by dlorenz

No fuel pump in the 70 Degree tank. They give you a cool aluminum base and sleeve for the stock fuel pump that takes the place of the stock plastic one. The 70 Degree base has a hose that comes out of it to connect the stock tank to the 70 Degree tank. Fluids natually seek a common level and that is how the tank stays filled even with the main tank.

The install is not really all that complicated. Same as removing and reinstalling the stock subframe. The hardest part about it is removing and reattaching the battery and other stuff the bolts onto the subframe. Nothing hard, but it probably takes about 1.5 hours.

Edited by Duken4evr

Is there already someone with and idea to solve the slow tanking and equalizing of levels?

I don't have experience with it yet, as I am still waiting for my tank. My friend has the old one and this is basicly the only complaint he has about the thing.

To be honest, having lived with the tank for a year now, I don't worry about it for most rides. Just fill the main tank to the brim. The level will drop several inches over time, but you are still carrying an extra 3/4 gallon of gas with a "quick fill". If I know I am going on a long ride, I top it off in the morning, or just take a few extra minutes at the pump. Keeping the vent system clear with a check valve is key. Before doing that, the level in the 70 Degree tank would just "stall" during fill up as the tank could not breathe.

A short tube with a vent like dlorenz posted could work too, but I like the idea of running the line forward and not having even the remote potential for a fuel spill over the hot exhaust that runs under the tank. There is a port on the top side of the 70 Degree tank you can use to fill it too. Tried that once, have not bothered since.

Edited by Duken4evr

Will you post a link where you bought your tank.

I don't know how you would know for sure, but I ordered it direct from the manufacturer and they said they have sold all of the tanks they have produced. The ones you get now are on back order until the production of new tanks can catch up with the new orders. I called other sources of tanks (retail) and they said they were waiting for the next production of tanks too.

John Wiser of 70 degree racing in an email to me (2/27): "Production actually started this week. Should have tanks to ship within two weeks."

I'm pretty sure the ones you order now are going to be the new tanks, though I haven't heard any complaints about the old tanks.

I've had my tank for a while now. It's a quality piece and a must have for the riding I do. I only wished the tank didn't have the cap on the top of the tank (the red one), mine leaks just a little bit. Also, I wished the side cap was an aluminum fitting with an oring. It's been a great tank and yes it does take time for the fuel to get to it when filling but it's worth waiting for piece of mind on the trail. They did a great job on the tank, a must have....