Sign in to follow this  

Ironman vs. SuperSprox sprockets

I've used the Ironman in the past with good results but now it's time to get a new sprocket. For those of you that have used both do you have a preference? Does one last longer than the other? Is the SS a lot lighter than the Ironman? Are there any issues with the SuperSprox rivets IE: loosening or excessive width causing chain guide wear?

Thanks

Edited by new450

I have been running a Ironman on my 450R since '04 with no complaints, it has held up incredibly well. I have gone thru two top ends and still running the same rear sproket. I just replaced the x-ring chain and countershaft sproket which wore out and the rear sproket is still good.

any chance you can post a pic of your sprocket? Mine's at 62 hours and seems to be showing a fair amount of wear. Enough that I am hesitating puttin on a new chain

I have been running a Ironman on my 450R since '04 with no complaints, it has held up incredibly well. I have gone thru two top ends and still running the same rear sproket. I just replaced the x-ring chain and countershaft sproket which wore out and the rear sproket is still good.

I think the supersprox look the best if you ask me, but found that their countershaft sprocket would not slide onto my counter shaft as easily as it should, so I just ordered a renthal. I do not recommend their countershaft sprocket but have no complaints about their rear sprocket.

Duke,

I ordered a supersprox rear and counter. What was the problem with the counter sprocket when you say it did not slide on right? My suspension is getting done so im trying to get everything else squared away on the bike. Was the counter a steel or aluminum you had issues with?

thanks

I believe it was steel, problem I had was that it seemed to tight for my countershaft. I could have got it on with a hammer if I wanted but I was brought up being told not to force things...I ordered a renthal and it slid on no problem so I'm glad I didn't put the supersprox on. I'm interested to see if yours goes on ok because supersprox told me they'd never had this problem before.

I purchased a SuperSprox countershaft sprocket about 2 years ago for my CR250R and also had fitment issues (too tight). I sent it back and bought a Renthal, which fit just like the OEM part.

Too many aftermarket companies sell inferior products that do not fit. Best way to solve the problem is to call & complain and buy another brand.

I purchased a SuperSprox countershaft sprocket about 2 years ago for my CR250R and also had fitment issues (too tight). I sent it back and bought a Renthal, which fit just like the OEM part.

Too many aftermarket companies sell inferior products that do not fit. Best way to solve the problem is to call & complain and buy another brand.

That ticks me off because they specifically told me this had never happened before. I'm going to be emailing them this thread.

That ticks me off because they specifically told me this had never happened before. I'm going to be emailing them this thread.

I purchased the SuperSprox CS sprocket from Rocky Mountain ATV and not directly from Supersprox. Maybe that's why they never hear of these problems.

Well, I ended up going with the Ironman again and ordered new bolts for them as well. One question though: The new bolt kit does not come with washers and the OEM bolts use washers. Are you guys that are running he Ironman sprockets/bolts using the OEM washers with the IM bolts or just running them with no washers? Since I already sold my old bike I couldn't check to see what I did on it.

Thanks

i just installed my ironman sprockets and did vt2 x-ring chain yesterday. I did put new bolts on the rear sprocket and reused the original washers. I had enough threads to use the washers and after 2.5 hours of running time, it is all tight. I am hoping that i can get 100+ hours out of the setup. Ironman say they have a 1 year warranty, will see if they last that long. I went for a 13-51 combo and will be buying a 14 for desert riding. I felt like i was in 4th and 5th more than normal yesterday. Did not need to use the clutch other than starting off. hill climbs were almost too easy chugging along.

i just installed my ironman sprockets and did vt2 x-ring chain yesterday. I am hoping that i can get 100+ hours out of the setup.

I have over 100 hours on my Ironman/VT2 combo. The chain has only required 3 adjustments in that entire time and it still has no measurable stretch. How you care for the chain makes a difference in longevity. A friend of mine roached out his Ironman VT2 setup within 100 hours by using a powerwasher too close to the chain. I wash my bikes with a garden hose and clean the chain with WD40 and Shout.

I don't remember having any washers in my stock sprocket, also replaced stock bolts with aftermarket which did not come with washers.

I don't remember having any washers in my stock sprocket, also replaced stock bolts with aftermarket which did not come with washers.

There is a flat washer on all CR/CRF sprocket bolts from the factory.