Sign in to follow this  

No top end power...

Ive tried every needle clip position on both needles, along with up to a 185 main and down to a 165 and nothing helped, actually it didnt change it what so ever so Im guessing it has nothing to do with the carb. There is no way it should need to be that rich. I ran it on a 170 all last season, and it was just a tad lean up top.

It doesnt sound like a bog to me, it sounds like its missing! Gotta be an electrical problem at this point.

Edited by BDubb106

Thats kind of what i'm thinking too. It sounds like you've gone through the carb as thoroughly as slick willy got to know monica luinsky :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . But all joking aside, i'd guess that its definitely something electrical. Maybe your in need of a new stator or coil, if it hasn't been replaced before its probably due for one anyways.

Ive tried every needle clip position on both needles, along with up to a 185 main and down to a 165 and nothing helped, actually it didnt change it what so ever so Im guessing it has nothing to do with the carb. There is no way it should need to be that rich. I ran it on a 170 all last season, and it was just a tad lean up top.

It doesnt sound like a bog to me, it sounds like its missing! Gotta be an electrical problem at this point.

I can't tell from the vids whats happening..You should have did them on a stand so you can hear where it starts breaking up or whatever you think it is doing.

Bog is lean condition or low compression.... you said in post #19 it bogs all the up.

Because that was the only way i could think to describe it. Ive said over and over that its cutting out. As soon as the pv opens it cuts out bad, and wont rev any higher

do you have an hour meter? Mine started cutting out and missing/ popping and the hr meter was ground it out and arking sometimes.

Have you clipped the coil wire? Unscrew the cap from the coil wire and clip about a 1/4" off the end and reapply the cap. May or may not fix it, but can be a problem with an older machine with a lot of hours over the years.

Did you have any luck getting it to rev out? I rode my 97 up the street and noticed it is doing very similar...it falls on its face and will not rev out...some where around 4000rpms it starts to fall off... I really think it is fuel/carb related but waiting for a new set of rings for the topend before I tear it down and remove the carb again and do a thorough cleaning.

This bike came in a box and I had to repair the PV. Does your link arm from the govenor have a slight bit of play before you feel the resistance? This one does and wasn't sure if it was normal or if the govenor has a way of adjusting. It not alot but acouple millimeters .

You dont think it has something to do with shaving the pv do you?

No I dont think so... I didnt really remove much. Only 1/2 a mm or so off one of them because it was bigger than the other, I just matched it to the exhaust port when fully open.

and I havnt gotten around to working on it yet... drinking my coffee now then its out to the garage to tear it down and test electricals.

Bike ran fine on the stand today, its raining out so I havnt gotten it out to test to see if it still cuts out under load. Hopefully its gone. All electrical components tested perfectly so Im hoping it was just a bad ground!

Maybe your timing is off. Timing off in a bad way will make the bike feel liek the PV isnt opening.

If the bike runs better without load vs load then it could be too rich. If it's that extreme it would fell like the bike has a govener in the middle of the power band and wont rev out. Try to roll the throttle at 1/4 thottle only and see it you can rev out further.

Edited by HollywoodMX

A good rule of thumb to follow is not to mess with a known good setup. Jetting does not magicly go bad. The answer will lie within your work 99% of the time. Always work backwards and check all the simple things you messed with....it typically will show up.

A good rule of thumb to follow is not to mess with a known good setup. Jetting does not magicly go bad. The answer will lie within your work 99% of the time. Always work backwards and check all the simple things you messed with....it typically will show up.

Lol that method usually works and Ive been through my work 10 times now and nothing Ive done has fixed it. I have a feeling the problem will still be there when I get it off the stand.

Ive went through the carb about 1000 times and tried the red needle and stock needle in every clip position. Also went up and down on the main in each direction 4 different sizes. I just dont get it. Tested spark, another new plug, different coil, fresh fuel 50/50 pump/110 vp just picked up today mixed 32:1 with Yamalube and no difference. Still falls on its face about 1/2 way through the RPM range. On the first start after the fresh fuel and plug it seemed like it was a little better but after I slowed down and took off again it started doing the same thing.

Checked PV, its operating freely and did not contact the piston, and yes I used the pin to hold the PV while I tightened it.

When you say tension on the PV what do you mean? I hooked it up the same way I unhooked it.

Did you just change jets or did you physically spray clean the carb and use compressed air to blow through all passageways? I am considering having my carb ultrasonically cleaned while I have it apart.