Sign in to follow this  

KLX fork upgrade questions

I'm thinking of having my stock KLX300 forks rebuilt & revalved. Just wondering what my options are for new valves. I know of Race Tech Gold valves, but are there any other manufacturers? If so, how do they compare? Is RaceTech the best? Any other things I should consider? I would probably buy the components myself & have a local suspension guy do the work. Thanks...

One of the best things I have had done to my KLX has been getting the suspension fixed.

Get a suspension pro to fix it, not a bike shop - I used Reggie Melton at PMR Suspension (Brisbane, Australia)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2475325101081.89535.1791078658&type=1#!/pages/PMR-Suspension/300168973334760

Reggie raced Kawasakis for years and really knows his stuff - he did a great job.

Some of the variables:

- front springs are too light on the KLX300R (mine are now KX springs) but the right springs depend on your weight, riding style, terrain and ability

- oil (both volume & weight)

- air ?

- valves

- pre sag

- balance between the front and rear

- your weight and the weight of your riding gear

I hope that helps

Race Tech is the only company I know of that makes aftermarket valves for the KLXs. You can have the shim stacks rebuilt but you will not be as happy at least in the front. I am not sure on spring manufacturers. According to the local pro who rebuilt both the front and rear of my bike rebuilding the shim stacks in the rear shock is about as good as putting in aftermarket valves. I am sure there are lots of opinions on both sides of this issue. One thing for sure is you should have a suspension pro do the work. As mentioned before he can set up rhe suspension tp match your riding style which is as important as all the new stuff you are putting in.

Correct springs and replacement valves are the way to go if you want to retain the KLX forks. The stock fork valves have very little to work with and you cannot change the rebound damping in them, even with aftermarket replacement valves.

Another way to go is to replace the KLX forks with KX forks.

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/kx-to-klx-forkswap.html

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks for the comments. Where do you guys get your RaceTech valves from?

some order direct from them. i went to my little local dirt bike shop for a better price, and a good deal on install with advice on what to expect and offer to adjust the valving if I didn't like their setup. All happy so far.

My forks and shock are ready for a rebuild. I way 140 pounds. My question is should I get the klx300 suspension rebuilt and valved for my weight or should I look into the KX forks. Also Brewster do you know a rough ball park on how much it cost to do that? Is there a place to buy the spacers?

Is there a place to buy the spacers?

I used a piece of 1" pvc pipe coupler. Less than $1.

My forks and shock are ready for a rebuild. I way 140 pounds. My question is should I get the klx300 suspension rebuilt and valved for my weight or should I look into the KX forks. Also Brewster do you know a rough ball park on how much it cost to do that? Is there a place to buy the spacers?

The stock fork springs should be ok for your weight. Gold valves in the forks will make a significant difference. They can be installed by a home mechanic and will give you more knowledge on what's happening in the forks. The cost for the KX fork conversion will depend on what you pay for the forks. I put new seals and bushings in mine when I did the conversion. For the shock, a softer spring will help out along with different valving, either RaceTech or reshimming the stock valve. A suspension shop should be able to reshim your shock for around the same cost as the RaceTech valve. There are softer springs from other shocks that will work on the KLX shock so you can look around for a used spring and save money.

I can turn out the axel adaptors for $40 and the spring spacers for $30. All of the dimensions are in the article.

Ride on

Brewster